Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Running Windows 7. In the past I've used many different backup programs: Acronis, Norton Backup, BackupMyPC and others. Recently I read in Windows Secrets that the Windows backup is pretty decent. So now I have to ask: Is Windows backup okay?

For drive image and data backups, is the built-in Windows backup safe and sufficient? Why might I need a third party application like Acronis?
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

Thanks
    Windows BackUp and Restore is a good, though pretty basic app. It does not include nearly the feature set of the 3rd party apps. I started with Win 7 BackUp and Restore then switched to Acronis when I tried to do additional things that BackUp and Restore could not do.

Check in the Security and Backups forum for further information on the subject.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think Windows backup is safe and sufficient if you are just looking for basic backup for one system to say a external hard drive which you then removed and stored in a safe place somewhere and only returned it periodically to update the backup, Make an image at one point when all is "just right," and you'll have that to fall back on in case of catastrophic failure (without having to start over from scratch), and that's a good, basic backup with an image to restore if needed, especially if you get the backup off-site so if some natural disaster occured, you'd still be coverd (provided the backup location didn't also fall prey to the same or coincidental disaster--which makes online backup the ultimate additional location to backup at least critical data for safe-keeping).

If you aren't into specifying where all your data is for the backup or think you might miss something, I sometimes recommend a ClickFree USB Transformer....it finds all the files that need to be backed up for you and backs them up to an external drive, no fuss no muss (makes a 1:1 backup (though its buried a bit in the folder structure) so the data can still be directly accessed and checked at any time).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Treloar View Post
    For drive image and data backups, is the built-in Windows backup safe and sufficient? Why might I need a third party application like Acronis?
    Bill,
    Hello... "It depends" on how you view what backup programs can do. As Ted and Byron have stated "pretty basic" personally i view the windows backup program as a "clunky" and poor choice ...even when compared to the "Free" Imaging programs. Macrium Reflect is one that is a good program http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp It does my "OS" with verifying in about 20 minutes, VS Acronis 2010 v7046 ( what i use ) that takes all of about 7 minutes, for the same ( both with compression )... Both will restore in about the same time. Both can be run from a "boot disk recovery" .. Wouldn't recommend Acronis 2011...Seems Acronis does the same "deal" every year ... Release a bug ridden program and let the people be the "beta testers" Acronis was great with V 10 , and 11 was not too bad, "2009" was a total loser. 2010 so far as the best (both for speed and function) Probably 2012 will be the next good one... we will wait and see... Bottom line for me.... If there was nothing else to choose from ....yeah go ahead and use the Windows "Clunker". Imaging is the most important program any serious PC user can have in their bag of tricks. Even if the program (your choice) costs 100$ ( AKA.. 100 federal reserve debt instruments) it's a must have. So.... don't "cheep out" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)