Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [Windows 7 64-bit]

I have a rather odd problem. Whenever I run Windows Live Mail (my default email program) on my desktop for the first time in a session (by session I mean the period between 2 consecutive reboots), it usually runs OK. However, when I run it a second time in a session, I get the following notification in the taskbar:

-----------------
    Windows Live Mail: wlmail.exe - Corrupt File
    The file or directory C:\Temp Files\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\xxxxxxxx is corrupt and unreadable. Please run Chkdsk utility.
    -----------------
    [Note 1: xxxxxxxx is a random alphanumerc value, like DAB167TE etc.
    Note 2: The path that its pointing to is my chosen path for storing temp files in IE8.]

On the next reboot, the Chkdsk runs automatically and invariably finds no errors.
    I have had this error for a couple months now, didn't happen before that. I am guessing here but I think the message started appearing soon after I installed Webroot Spy Sweeper on the PC (I previously had Spy Sweeper w/AntiVirus which was uninstalled when the subscription ran out and replaced by Spy Sweeper). Again, that's just a guess, its hard to find cause and effect.

I have already "Repaired" my installation of Windows Live Essentials; it hasn't helped. Does someone have any insight into why I get this redundant message and how to fix the issue?

Thanks
    If you don't have an up to date Image (this is a great reason to do so) perhaps a repair install of Win 7 would solve the problem. You say you Repaired WLM. Did you actually uninstall it, then redownload and reinstall it? This might also be in order.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Why are you getting WLM errors in your browser's cache/temp storage area?

If Spy Sweeper has any hooks on your WLM client uninstall it. (if spy Sweeper monitors your emails)
    Run a registry cleaner and physically inspect the root program folders for leftovers.

Run a program like Privacy Mantra 3.0 then boot immediately. You want to remove the index.dat file from the browser cache and have it rebuilt.

If you have any suspicions over the program "Spy Sweeper" go with it. Remove the program and aggressively clean up after it has been uninstalled.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

Ted,
    Unfortunately, I am *not* prepared to reinstall or repair Win7: Too much hassle + very questionable benefit in my case. As for the WLM repair, that was done from the Control Panel | Uninstall a Program module; I chose repair instead of uninstall.

Clint,
    I just threw out the Spy Sweeper as a (weak) possibility; I am not sure there's any link. For that matter, it may have been a Win7 patch that triggered the issue (again, just guessing). Also, in SpySw I have the email attachments shield turned off as its more a hassle so I don't think its got any hooks into WLM. As for privacy cleaning, I use CCleaner & Advanced SyatemCare several times each day, and I cleaned out the IE cache just today.
    But I think you are probably on the right track suggesting that its really a browser cahe/temp storage issue. Perhaps some security setting inside IE8 is interfering; question is, which one (there are so many of them)? And why did it start a couple months ago?

And to put things in perspective, WLM has worked w/o this, or any other, errors ever since I upgraded from Vista 64-bit to Win7 64-bit almost a year ago.

Thanks
    Stumped, if you remove WLM & reinstall without having to 'sign-in' it means there are bits left over on your PC. I suggest removal using CCleaner then run registry cleaner and finally the 'cleaner' using default settings for all.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    WLM like Outlook creates a folder in the same hierarchy as your IE Temporary Internet Files and uses it to open attachments. This is normal behavior. When you run Ccleaner & Advanced System Care do you shut down all your application programs? If you let either of those programs aggressively clean folders when other programs are running you'll create problems.

Have you checked the Event Logs for CHKDSK results?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,
    I never run CC or other cleaners while any apps are running.
    I am usually at the screen when chkdsk runs and I watch it flash the message...no errors found...and the reboot completes successfully.

Roderunner,
    I am not able to understand how uninstall & reinstall is going to help. If there was something bad lurking in the registry or elsewhere, then I would get the corrupt file message every time WLM is run. But that's not the case. The first run usually doesn't give the error; its the 2nd run that often leads to the error. Subsequent runs after the 2nd also often give the error. Its the intermittent nature that is puzzling.