Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We have two Acer Aspire One netbooks in the family. They have the typical netbook configuration: Windows 7 Starter, Atom 450 processor, 1GB RAM, 160GB harddrive. I'd like to have some of the Home Premium features, including the Home Premium games Mahjong Titans and Chess Titans. I've read numerous reviews on upgrading Starter to Home Premium on sites like Amazon, but they don't comment on several issues I feel are very important. First, will Home Premium effectively run with only 1GB of RAM? I would disable Windows Media Center and maybe other features Home Premium adds, but I'm concerned that Home Premium will load up my RAM with things I don't really need and slow everything down. Second, is the graphics capablity built into netbooks using the Atom 450 processor (no separate graphics controller) capable of effectively displaying Aero Glass, the premium games, and movies from an external DVD drive?

I won't feel bad if the general consensus is to leave well enough alone. I'll eventually replace one of the netbooks with a more capable small notebook preloaded with Home Premium and configured with the appropriate hardware.

Thanks
    I don't see why not, you may have to disable [some] graphical functionality, but I can't see why it wouldn't be doable.
    Ensure you have made a full image backup prior to starting in the event it turns out you don't like it.

I would be most concerned about the processors performance.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    My experience has been that Windows 7 offers better performance than XP on the same hardware - I will admit that this is limited to a 6 year old laptop, though. Didn't use it with less than 2 GB of RAM, either. If you take care not to load lots of stuff during boot, you likely will feel the same.
    Agree with the previous advice, though - image before. I would format and clean install 7 too, as that would get rid of any junkware added by Acer, ensuring the best possible boot time and use of memory.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Win 7 Home Premium installed on my Asus EeePC 1000HE

I don't do games but I've just tried Chess Titans and it looks the same as on my Desktop.

I have upgraded the NetBook to 2 Gb of Ram which wasn't very expensive and an SSD of 64Gb which was a bit expensive. The internal HDD is used via a USB port.

The NetBook runs just about everything I want it to including running Visual FoxPro for program development and compiling into exe when away form the Desktop.

I also use it to watch TV using Windows Media Center and a USB Wand TV Tuner Stick - gives an excellent picture at the small screen size but ideal to have alongside the desk on a stand to watch cricket or Motor sport when working on the Desktop.

I have used the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator driver for mobile XP and have am able to choose a virtual 1024X768 screen - enabling me to run my Genealogy software (TMG) and my Utilities and be able to reach all the buttons which at 1024X600 are below the screen.

I have Aero turned off ( I wouldn't expect a satisfactory performance and the lack of it is not a problem to me.) The Graphics score is 1.0. HDD 5.9 RAM 4.5.

Regards

Bryan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1 Gig of RAM is absoluely no problem, I have at least 4 (maybe 6) old systems running 7 right as rain on 1 Gig, no special considerations at all. I'm sure its a bit slow here and there for certain large scale input output operations that occur rapidly but not that I'd notice. Most of these systems are running Athlon 3200+ to 4000+ single core so I don't know how much firepower that is in comparison to a Atom 450.

I suppose the widows evaluation is disabled in starter? Seems likely so I suppose you can't know for sure until you try HP and run an assesment. If you can get 2.9 or higher for the graphics aero performance, you're good to go with Aero (might have to hack the registry to force Aero if its just 2.9 or 3.0, but it will be serviceable. Anything less than 2.9 I'd say is a no-go.

Ok, looks like the 450 is 1.66 Ghz? I'm running 7Enterprise on a 1.66 Athlon (also 1 Gig RAM) and its not fast but it is still smooth and not what I would call slow. Running a so-called hi-def flash video is going to take as much or more processor time than a USB DVD so I'm pretty sure you're covered there.

So of all those, my biggest if would be the graphics capability, you may be stuck in basic display mode with Home Premium.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions. I had wondered how I'd go back if moving to HP didn't suit me. Upgrading the RAM to 2GB on the Acer model I have is a two minute job. But from a financial standpoint, I might be better off putting the money for more RAM and the HP upgrade into a slightly larger netbook with a 1024X768 screen and a better GPU.