Star Lounger
    Thanks

Downloading Word 97 to Word 2k (Win 98 SE )

I would like to download a job application from the internet to my PC. I have Office 2k and the application is formatted in Word 97. I have downloaded all the converters Microsoft has for Word. I tried "Save As" Word 97/2000 RTF but the formatting wasn't the same and some words came out as gibberish. How do I download this app so I can complete it on my PC and submit it. I am trying to get it to look as professional as possible. My OCR isn't very good or I would just print it and then scan it. Any help would be immensely appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Downloading Word 97 to Word 2k (Win 98 SE )

This seems odd. To quote the Word 2000 Help 'Microsoft Word 2000 saves in the same file format as Word 97, so no converter is needed to open or save Word 97 files.' I use Word 2000 at home and Word 97 at work and usually have no problems at all. Some Word 2000 features are not in Word 97 (such as tables within tables) but opening a 97 doc in 2000 shouldn't cause a problem. Could it be that there is actually something wrong with the doc you are trying to use? Is it really in the format they say it is?

Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The document in question is a job application placed on the web by the state for state agency employment. I'm sure it's possible there could well be a problem with the application. However, I suspect it is more likely the problem lies in my Word 2000. I already ran the "Detect and Repair" once. I guess I'll do it again. I am pretty much of a novice when it comes to the inner workings of 'puters. Also, I don't know Basic or Visual Basic. I suppose I could try Dr.Watson on the form when I download it. Any other ideas would be welcome. (The state is Texas, the address is www.twc.state.ts.us/jobs/gvjb/stateapp or going to the Governor's Job Bank) Thank you Ian.

Thanks

Well I tried downloading the form and it looked fine on my screen. (I'm using Word 2000 too.) Did you just click on the link on their site? Better is to right click the link and choose 'Save target as' then save the file to your own hard disc and open it from there. (But maybe you know that.) So if it's OK for me and not for you it suggests the problem could be at your end. I notice that they also offer a PDF version of the form, which you could download and print out using Adobe Acrobat Reader, if you have it. (And if you don't, it's a free download from Adobe or indeed from the Texas site.) Then you'd have to fill it in manually and submit it by snail mail of course.

Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Ian. I have it now. I discovered I had some programs which were interfering with Office 2K. I didn't know which ones were causing the problem but I knew I had downloaded them recently so I removed them. I didn't really need them. Then I did Detect & Repair. I was then able to download the application with the original format using the right click as you suggested. So thanks again!

Thanks

You're welcome! - Ian