Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Greetings Windows Secrets Forum!

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 with all the latest updates, and I have recently decided to backup my system and my files onto an external hard drive. However, I am somewhat confused about the backup options present natively in Windows XP. I know that with 7, you can create a system repair disc, a disc image, and a regular backup within the backup manager. However, in XP I have only been able to create a regular file backup, as there doesn't appear to be a repair disc or disc image option. Also, I have to choose the manual backup option, because if I choose "Backup everything on this computer" I get the error message that the files couldn't be transferred. I suspect this has something to do with XP's backup protocol: it requires you to insert a floppy disc to create a backup image, or so I think. Is there any way to create a system repair disc, a system image on a CD, and still get my entire computer backed up with XP? Or do I need to get a third party backup program? If so, which ones would anyone here recommend? I am looking for a comprehensive, secure and reliable backup program that really gives me every option, as you can't be too careful!
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    I would not rely on Windows XP's native backup abilities, instead set yourself up with one of the many 3rd party solutions that exist.
    2 Main backup types:
    Full Imaging of hard drive.
    Hard copying of important data.
    Preservation of installed programs, particularly of outdated and limited access types, and older versions of same.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Hi Henry, XP repair info here. as to imaging, Acronis TI 2010 paid and guaranteed if installed correctly. Various free apps (no recommendations ) all have good and many bad points depending on the skill of user.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Thank you both for your helpful replies!

I figured that XP would be insufficient to meet my backup needs, and so after a bit of research I've decided on Macrium Reflect, as it offers a free version that will provide a full disc image straight to my external drive. This way, I can ensure I get everything, in case I miss something while trying to do a hard backup.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Macrium Reflect will do the job just fine.
    Make a Macrium bootable disk in the event you are confronted with a non bootable os.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If and/or when you get tired of lugging around the heavy artillery (periodic images are fine when a major system change occurs, but they are a very blunt instrument for everyday data backup), and in your's and similar cases of otheres, where you want to make sure you don't miss any data tucked away in any corner of the PC, Clickfree makes a nice product (either a backup drive or USB transfomer dongle if you have your own). Otherwise if you can find all your data locations at least once, Brightsparks Syncback free version offers excellent set it and forget it backup protection.

Thanks
    Clint, I have a question. I can't seem to find the bootable disc option within Macrium. The only option available is to make a "rescue disc," which requires the installation of another piece of software, PE Builder. Macrium installs an add-on within the PE Builder file, which allows me to create a PE-Bart CD. I followed this through, but unfortunately a Bart CD requires either the original XP OS install disc (which I no longer have) or the OS install files already on the computer (which I don't have either) so I don't see how it would be possible to create a recovery disc with this program, unless I'm missing something. Maybe there is another program that will create a recovery disc? Because I agree with you completely, a full image backup won't mean much if I can't boot the computer in the event of an OS failure to get to the backed-up files.

Thank you for your suggestions, Byron! I'll check out both of those software sites to see if they can offer a recovery disc option in addition to standard backup abilities.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Henry - Try using the Macrium option to make a Linux rescue CD.

[attachment=90970:Macrium Rescue CD.jpg]

After the CD is made, it should be tested to make sure that CD can boot your system. You will need to go into your BIOS and change the Boot Order so that "Boot from CD" comes before boot from Hard Drive.

Hope that helps !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Tim for that screenshot of the backup options, it was very helpful. I wasn't aware that Linux was an option for me. I guess I misread it and thought that it applied only to Linux OS computers, and that it wouldn't work for XP. However, there is one problem. After I selected that option and inserted a blank CD-R into the computer, Macrium gave me the message that it was "Writing lead out...please wait." After a period of about 15 minutes, the disc was ejected and Macrium informed me that "An error occurred whilst creating the Rescue CD." I tried another disc, but no luck. Could it be that it is still searching for the OS boot files, or is there something I'm doing wrong?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of questions...
    1) Can the CD burner usually make CD's?
    2) Has a CD been made recently?
    3) In Macrium be sure to choose the CD burner (see pic below)
    [attachment=90971:Macrium burner choice.jpg]

I have never made an ISO file in Macrium, but Macrium does offer that ISO choice. I will give it a try if you are still unable to make the CD.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    To answer your questions Tim,
    1.) Yes, the CD drive is a certified CD burner. I've used it to burn CDs in the past.
    2.) No, I haven't made one recently, but to the best of my knowledge it still works.
    3.) Yes, I did choose the CD burner when I attempted to create the CD.

If I create an ISO to my external hard drive, could I reboot with that? Or would the ISO have to be made to a disc?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I create an ISO to my external hard drive, could I reboot with that? Or would the ISO have to be made to a disc?
    You'd have no way of mounting the ISO without another working system partition but its not a bad idea to have a master iso to make copies from.

Thanks
    So what you are saying Byron is that, although I could create a master ISO to my external hard drive, I would have to create an XP partition on the hard drive for the ISO to read it? What if I could use a program at startup that would allow a virtual mounting to read the ISO? Is such a program available?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Henry - I made an ISO in Macrium and saved it to hard drive and then burned the ISO to a CD. Tested it and it boots up to Macrium and can see my backup image.
    I used CDBurnerXP to burn the ISO to a CD
    CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs

Hope that helps !!

EDIT:The name of the Burner program is a bit misleading...
    a Key Feature is ... Operating Systems: Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server/Vista/2008/Win7 (x86 / x64)

Thanks
    Hey again Tim. Thank you so much for that ISO suggestion! It finally worked! I think I know what the problem was with the disc burning in the first place. Macrium wasn't recognizing the disc burner, whether because the optical drive is old, or because it doesn't have DVD burning capabilities, I don't know. The same thing happened with several other ISO burners, included CDBurnerXP. FInally, I found FreeISOBurner, which is a small, low impact program that specializes exclusively in burning ISOs. It finally recognize my disc drive and I was able to complete the process. Now I have a working bootable disc in the event of total system failure, and a hard disc image to restore to.

Thank you all again for your help: I couldn't have done it without you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast