2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I opened 20GB on the drive that holds my Win7 C: partition by shrinking another partition. I wanted to add this space to C: but discovered that Win7 won't allow it. Is there any simple way to do this? I suppose I could restore an image of C: but, short of reformatting the entire drive, I am not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

[FWIW, my C: is filling up because I allow applications to install on it. This might have been a mistake, but it is too late now. If I continue to install new applications, C: is going to run out of space.]

Thanks
    EASEUS Partition Master 6.5.2 Home Edition

Generally speeking, if you want to expand your "C" drive you will need to shrink it's neighboring drive to the right, then expand the "C" drive into the space
    that was just created from the shrinking of the neighboring drive.

The Windows 7 disk management app may do the job, but the above software link definitely will do the job.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I have both Easeus and Partition Wizard. Both have free versions that work well. The Win 7 Disk Manager will recover space behind the OS, but not ahead og the OS. The 3rd party apps do both.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Win 7 Disk Manager will recover space behind the OS, but not ahead og the OS.
    Ted's right and to expound on it just a bit more in case of confusion in that the partition you shrunk may already be "behind" (to the right in Disk Management) the OS partition, a partition is always shrunk from the right partition boundary so even though you may have shrunk that partition, it didn't open up any space right next to the OS partition, it opened up space at the other end of the partition.
    So Windows 7 can't access that to add it to the OS partition; it requires stronger medicine in the form of a third party app. to move the data on the shrunken partition away from the left partition boundary (essentially shift everything on the partition to the right) so it can then free up the space in the proper position in order to add it to the OS partition.
    Most people who partition will end up repartitioning again at some point so its not a mistake, just a underestimate of what your future useage would be. I start at 150 gigs for 7 and 100 for XP, plus I partition for data and sometimes extra storage; I rarely have any adjustments to make but such was not always the case (live and learn).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have both Easeus and Partition Wizard. Both have free versions that work well. The Win 7 Disk Manager will recover space behind the OS, but not ahead og the OS. The 3rd party apps do both.
    Thanks for the replies. I understand your explanations and will check out the two utilities.

My drive had two partitions (C and F). I did a "shrink" to free up the 20GB from F. Apparently the free space is in the wrong location.

One additional question... I already have GPARTED. Can it expand in my situation?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The job is done. I used EASEUS. It took only a few seconds to enter the desired changes, then the computer had to reboot. EASEUS then moved the files so that it could add the extra 20GB to my C drive. That took some time, since the drive was a 1TB and there were some large files to move. I turned the monitor off and let it go. When I returned, the job was done and everything is working properly. The C drive is showing the extra space. EASEUS was a perfect solution.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One additional question... I already have GPARTED. Can it expand in my situation?
    Yes, it can do just about anything partition and format-related. It would have done the same thing as EaseUS except you would have already been booted into GParted so no need to reboot into a protected mode.