Lounger
    Thanks
    Being new to this OS I have found that it takes anything from 10 to 95 seconds to close down.
    I am not particularly worried about it but was wonderding if anyone could explain they this may be so.
    My XP machine shuts down within 10 seconds every time. I have tried a search and google but can't find anything helpful.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Shutdown problems usually fall in one of two categoreis. One, Windows is waiting on a network device to respond. Two, Windows is waiting for a third party driver to unload.

To resolve you could make sure that your drivers particularly audio device, video card, & network card drivers are up-to-date. Do you have any network devices?

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can check in Control Panel -> Performance Information and Tools -> Advanced Tools, to see if there are reported performance issues, either on boot or during shutdown.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    That will depend on what software applications or processes you have running that need to be finalized prior to a controled shutdown.
    Only you can answer that question by attempting to account for what is trying to close out after the time you initialize the command to shut your computer down.

Diagnosing long shutdown times+windows 7

Below is an example of a fairly vague setting that can effect shutdown times. This is an operating system related setting. The software you are running can also be a factor in terms of both start up and shutdown times.
    Virtual Memory Paging File - Clear at Shutdown
    WHY ENABLE:
    Sensitive information may have been temporarily stored in the virtual memory pagefile. For this security reason and others, it may be a good idea to enable this setting to clear the virtual memory pagefile occasionally or when you suspect this. When this setting is enabled it will clear the virtual memory pagefile, and the hibernation file only on a portable computer, when you restart or shutdown the computer.

WHY DISABLE:
    When this setting is enabled it can add around a minute or so to how long it takes your computer to shutdown and restart. How much time it will add depends on how much RAM you have installed and how big the Virtual Memory Paging File is set at.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The geek way to diagnose & troubleshoot shutdown issues:
    Diagnose Shutdown Problems with Xbootmgr
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Shutdown problems usually fall in one of two categoreis. One, Windows is waiting on a network device to respond. Two, Windows is waiting for a third party driver to unload.

To resolve you could make sure that your drivers particularly audio device, video card, & network card drivers are up-to-date. Do you have any network devices?

Joe
    TThanks Joe. I have a wireless router. I will check out drivers now that I know what may be the answer.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    You can check in Control Panel -> Performance Information and Tools -> Advanced Tools, to see if there are reported performance issues, either on boot or during shutdown.
    I will have a look at that. I didn't even know that info' was available. Cheers.

Thanks
    It may be just as simple as too many apps running in the background, and all have to shut down nicely. One problem with all apps it seems is that whenever you install an app, any app, it seems they all think they need to be running in the background. You can use a program such as What's In Startup to determine what apps start when you start Windows, and to stop the unnecessary ones. Almost ALL apps are unnecessary. I run my AV/AM, my Windows Firewall control app, my laptop touchpad app and an app that allows me to text over my Blackberry from my PC. That's it. You will find many entries of apps that do not have to be running all the time. Shut them down and see what happens not only to shutdown speed, but to boot speed and operational speed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy