Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    i am using office 2003 on a windows 7 pc (yes, because i like 2003). the copy of office that i am using is part of a site license, for my use at home for corporate business, so it does not have a 25-character unique ID.

when i open word, normal.dot is set for (among other things) 1.25 inch side margins and times roman 12 font. it ignores changes to these items, even when i check the "save these changes" box. when i reopen word, these changes are ignored. i have tried to uninstall and reinstall outlook from the CD unsuccessfully - i had to use revo uninstaller to remove office. but when i reinstall, i am right back where i started. it's a huge annoyance.

regrettably, i don't recall when it started acting this way, and have been unsuccessful restoring the PC to an earlier point.

suggestions gratefully welcomed.

Thanks
    Some add-ins instruct Word to ignore changes to Normal.dot. To ensure that your changes are saved, immediately after making the changes, hold the Shift key, drop the file menu, and choose Save All. Does it work?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    first, no add-ins have been installed. second, regrettably, it's unchanged. thanks for the suggestion...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Have you tried to edit normal.dot directly?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    good idea... i assume it's editable like a word doc. will get back to you on this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce hyman View Post
    good idea... i assume it's editable like a word doc. will get back to you on this.
    It is. Word can edit any of the files it uses and it can, of course, be used to create .dot files as well.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    fascinating. (again, using word 2003) - there is no normal.dot file that i can find. i searched the c drive, and the closest i got was in c:\users\bruce\AppData\Roaming\MIcrosoft\Templates , where there is a normal.dotm - which i think is applicable to office 2010, (probably part of the initial 60 day freebie on this PC.)

tools\options\file locations shows a blank "workgroup templates" entry. the "user templates" entry has pointers to c:\...\roaming\microsoft\templates\livecontent\ followed by a fork to either managed or user; managed has three branches; user has three branches; and so on.

but normal.dot does not appear in any of these.

suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I use Office 2010, so am not sure how Word 2003 behaves. Found a Microsoft support page on normal.dot location: Normal.dot location.
    You seem to be using Windows 7 (at least I got that idea), so the folders may be slightly different.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Open Word and go to Tools, Options, File Location and open the path to User Templates. Make note of the path as that is where normal.dot should reside.

Open Explorer, navigate to that location and look to see if normal.dot is there. Note that it is considered as a system file by Windows so you need to make sure that in Explorer under Tools, Options, View tab the Show hidden files and folders option is checked and that Hide protected operating systems files option is unchecked.

If you still don't see a normal.dot, then I'd still suspect an errant or legacy add-in causing the problem. In Word 2003, if you haven't made any changes that need saving to normal.dot - such as the default font or page margins - then normal.dot won't actually be created. If a rogue legacy add-in that inhibits changes to normal.dot was already installed when you installed Word 2003, normal.dot may never have been created.

Thanks
    there is no normal.dot file that i can find. i searched the c drive, and the closest i got was in c:\users\bruce\AppData\Roaming\MIcrosoft\Templates , where there is a normal.dotm - which i think is applicable to office 2010, (probably part of the initial 60 day freebie on this PC.)
    If you used Office 2010, then later installed Office 2003, it's possible that the settings are a bit scrambled in the registry. The standard recommendation is to thoroughly uninstall all versions of Office and then reinstall just Office 2003 (or if you want both, starting with the oldest version first).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I uninstalled Office 2003 and the dregs of 2010. ran a registry cleaner. installed office 2003. checked for the existence of normal.dot - as expected, there was none. there are no plugins.

ran word 2003, changed to 1 inch3 margins and georgia 11 font; saved doc1.doc and closed word. reopened word, and found it was back to 1.25 inch margins and times new roman 12.

frankly, i've run out of ideas.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can try something else: get a document formatted as you want it, choose Save As and save it as a template, with a name of your choice. After doing this, whenever you want a new document, create it with your template. Just takes a bit of additional effort and seems it could save you a lot of headaches.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I uninstalled Office 2003 and the dregs of 2010. ran a registry cleaner. installed office 2003. checked for the existence of normal.dot - as expected, there was none. there are no plugins.

ran word 2003, changed to 1 inch3 margins and georgia 11 font; saved doc1.doc and closed word. reopened word, and found it was back to 1.25 inch margins and times new roman 12.

Since you can get to the folders, this may not be a sensible question, but have to ask: do you have Windows Explorer set to allow you to see hidden files? (Click Alt in Windows Explorer to expose the File, Edit... toolbar, and then of course Tools > Folder options.).

Pam
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bruce,

Forgive me if I'm being obvious here, but the steps you describe above wouldn't change normal.dot anyway.

Can you just try the following steps for me?

Open up Word.

Choose Font from the Format menu.

Change the Font size to something different.

Click the Default button at the bottom of the dialog box.

You should see a dialog box asking if you want to change the default font to "whatever it is now but with the font size you've just described" and telling you that this change will affect all new documents based on the Normal template. (if that dialog box doesn't appear, or if it says something else, please let us know). Click Yes.

Close down Word. Don't save any changes to document 1 when it asks.

Open up Word.

Check the font size.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    did what you said (i'd been there - i.e. checking the "default" box to capture the changes in normal.dot, etc.) - but the changes are not captured.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast