New Lounger
    Thanks
    For about 2 weeks when I do a search in the start menu, I can get programs but previously I would get all files that contained the search term, including Thunderbird emails. It no longer works. I have another application the will search everything on my pc but this is not nearly as convenient as using the search box. Any ideas as to how I can revive the "search everything" function will be appreciated.

Harry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    What do you get?

Do you get any errors?

Have you disabled any services?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get no errors and I get installed programs but not the full machine search results like i get with my Search Everything program (provides a machine wide search). I was getting full machine search results but for some reason it changed. I don't think I did anything to disable any services.

Thanks
    Hi Harry,

As Joe suggested, check that your Windows Search service has not been stopped. Be sure it is set to Automatic, or Automatic (delayed start) and has been started.

If that does not correct the situation try the following:

Go to Control Panel and start the Indexing Options. Verify the areas on your hard drive(s) that should be indexed, such as your User folders, etc. Click on the Advanced button, click on the Index Settings tab and select Rebuild Index. This will delete your current index and rebuild a new one for you. Your search index may have become corrupted. Also when you click on Advanced button, select the File Types tab, and be sure that Index Properties and File Contents is selected for each file type you want indexed, just in case the setting has been changed to Index Properties Only.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys but I can't find "Windows Search service" in the control panel. I tried going to Control panel and looking for Indexing Options but just can't find it. Since I can't find it I can't click on the Advanced button to locate the Index setting tab and thereby Rebuild Index. Win7 is still a puzzle to me but I'll get there eventually with the help of you elite Lounge Wizards (as opposed to the old term 'lounge lizard'.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    To check services click the Start orb, right click on "Computer", select "Manage". When the computer management applet is open, click on the arrow next to "Services and Applications". Then click on "Services". the services are listed alphabetically in the right pane.

To access the search indexing options click the Start orb, type "change index" (without the quotation marks) in the search bar. You should be able to click on "Indexing Options" near the top.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    To check services click the Start orb, right click on "Computer", select "Manage". When the computer management applet is open, click on the arrow next to "Services and Applications". Then click on "Services". the services are listed alphabetically in the right pane.
    Or, just type Services into the search box.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs