New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was asked to help a friend who lost connectivity to the internet. it turns out the something called internet antivirus 2011 is pretending to scan the system then comes up with a "report" that says the hard drive is infected and to go to a site to purchase anti-virus software from an outfit i've never seen before. this computer did not have any anti-virus softrware installed by the way.
    upon further testing, i find there is internet connectivity - i can ping by dns name, for example pinging www.google.com works. internet explorer consistently returns a cannot display the webpage message.
    I googled internet antivirus 2011 and attempted various manual removal instructions, but either most things that needed to be removed were missing or file directories were locked.

Any assistance would be welcomed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can try and boot the computer in safe mode with networking. It's possible that the bogus anti-virus won't be loaded and if that is the case, you can then download and install antimalware software to remove it. Probably beginning with Malwarebytes anti-malware is a good first step.

If the malware loads even in safe mode, probably trying to get one the boot cds made by av vendors would be the best option, but you need to try safe mode with networking before.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    problem solved - somehow the scamware - internet antivirus 2011 - changed the proxy setting. once the proxy setting was removed, all was well.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Glad you got it fxed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim d wilson View Post
    problem solved - somehow the scamware - internet antivirus 2011 - changed the proxy setting. once the proxy setting was removed, all was well.
    You might still want to use various malware apps to ensure this nasty is still not residing on the PC waiting to cause further havoc or transfer to the next unsuspecting user. Even though you changed the proxy setting back to default, that in and of itself will not remove this fraudulent app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy