2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just gone wireless with a linksys E1000 router that is used with 2 desktop Win XP computers and a new wireless Win7 64bit Laptop.....The Linksys router has a firewall SP1 and I know that the windows programs also have a firewall.....my question is: since I already have a firewall, do I need to purchase anything better than just an anti-virus program such as Norton Anti-virus, McAffee, etc, or do I really need to purchase the Internet version of their software. I want to make sure I am fully protected, but do not want to spend money needlessly to get additional features that I really won't use or need. Thank you, John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, don't need any extra firewall stuff, can go to ShieldsUp! and test your router to see if any ports are open that might respond to a ping and close or redirect them for complete stealth. Should have wireless encryption if living anywhere the wireless signal could be "borrowed;" I think that's a bigger threat these days (other unknown computers on your network) than having a somewhat porous firewall. Also, try MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), its free and might be all you need for anti-virus.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I believe you are better protected if you use a HIPS, additionally to your anti-virus, even with a hardware firewall, just as discussed here.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    my question is: since I already have a firewall, do I need to purchase anything better than just an anti-virus program such as Norton Anti-virus, McAffee, etc, or do I really need to purchase the Internet version of their software. I want to make sure I am fully protected, but do not want to spend money needlessly to get additional features that I really won't use or need. Thank you, John
    John,
    Hello... Byron's advice is "right on" However i would like to add my input as well .... Your decision for what "security" depends ....

1.Do you want to have a fully customizable security system ? Example... be able to choose what, where, and when, and to what extent (agressive scans or not etc.) Boot time scan , Recovery disk ...in case your system gets toasted, and made un-boot-able.

2. If you answer is yes to some or all the above then you will need a 3rd party program ..as you have stated. "Mickey MSE" won't fill the bill.

3. I use Norton Internet Security 2011 ( about 50$ USD) a year for 3 PC's and it does all the above and more . Some don't care and as long as a program is free... for them that's the bottom line. For me i want to be able to "adjust my security " to what i decide " is best, not "MS" or anyone else. Think about it . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    John,

I would add OpenDNS to your router. For personal use the free version is just fine and you don't need to run the Updater application unless you want to customize it with parental controls etc.

I'd also keep an updated version of MalwareBytes handy in case you do get an infection. Again for home use the free version is fine.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    For more comments, see these recent threads: [topic=780398]Is a software firewall needed behind router?[/topic] and [topic=778235]Router firewall vs. Software firewall[/topic].

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like give my sincere thanks to all that have responded to my question...it's very much appreciated and I will continue to followup reading all the additional threads included as well as the helpful suggestions that you have provided...Have a Happy Holiday season and thank you again....John

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The only additional requirement is a backup. Then when you get a virus / lose a disk, you can recover.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Adding to what P.T. said, Imaging is the backup of your entire HD. Keeping up to date Images is your best protection against disaster either something you cause or a very bad nasty. You can read many threads about imaging in this forum.

My thoughts on security are this, a good hardware firewall in your router, enabled, a good software firewall (2 way, I use the default Win 7 firewall), a good AV/AM app running in real time (background, I use MSE) and periodic scans with other AM apps. This is a very complete and safe security scheme. I have never had a serious virus / AM attack using this scheme.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy