New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm formatting a 30-40 page spreadsheet that contains text of varying length. Some of the entries push the character limit.

When I get ready to print the spreadsheet, I have to spend hours and hours hand tweaking the row height, doing a print preview, and then going back to the rows that cut off their text.

I've tried Auto Fit Row Height, but that just gets me in the ball park. Maybe it has to do with the various print drivers I use. I've picked through the help this morning looking for some way to add extra padding after the text (sorta like Words space above and space after, but it looks like this is not an Excel feature.

Anybody have a trick that works to make sure there is sufficient space around the text so that it doesn't get cut off? I found a way to set an indent, but that only works in one axis (whichever origin is chosen). I need something that will set the horizontal spacing while my text is oriented normally (0 degrees).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    How much calculation is done is this workbook? If it's mostly text with only a few numbers maybe you could move it to a Word Table {you can do simple math there also} as it would handle the text much better than Excel. Just a thought.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jopakent View Post
    I'm formatting a 30-40 page spreadsheet that contains text of varying length. Some of the entries push the character limit.

When I get ready to print the spreadsheet, I have to spend hours and hours hand tweaking the row height, doing a print preview, and then going back to the rows that cut off their text.

I've tried Auto Fit Row Height, but that just gets me in the ball park. Maybe it has to do with the various print drivers I use. I've picked through the help this morning looking for some way to add extra padding after the text (sorta like Words space above and space after, but it looks like this is not an Excel feature.

Anybody have a trick that works to make sure there is sufficient space around the text so that it doesn't get cut off? I found a way to set an indent, but that only works in one axis (whichever origin is chosen). I need something that will set the horizontal spacing while my text is oriented normally (0 degrees).
    The solution I use is this

=IF(AJ6="ENTER RNL PREM",REPT(CHAR(10),4),REPT(CHAR(10),2))

This formula checks that some specific text appears in cell AJ6 (change as needed) if it exists then Char(10) (Carriage return) is repeated 4 times to give the required row height, if another column has more characters than will fit in 4 rows, then the row height will change as needed.

The column with the above formula is not included in any print range as it is only used to determine row heights as needed.

Regards,
    Maria
    Maria
    Simmo7
    Victoria, Australia