Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've read some earlier posts on this topic, but want to be sure the suggestions apply to Vista SP2 as well as XP. This 2 1/2 year old laptop has become slower and slower over the past few weeks until today, when it is operating at a snail's pace!

I checked the drives and found:
    - C (local drive) 76.9 GB free of 137 GB
    - HP Recovery D 1.97 GBfree of 11.7 GB
    - unsure how to check for RAM

I haven't added any new software, just done the Windows Updates as they became available. I just cleared off a number of shortcuts from my desktop (one post suggested they could be a problem).

What's next? I did an AdAware and SpyBot scan in the last 2 days, but forgot they had been run and turned off the computer without checking to see if I had to remove or quarantine anything!! Not sure how to find out the results of the scans now. Or should I just redo both?

Any suggestions for this issue very welcome - as always!

Linda

Thanks
    The first thing that should be done is to ensure you don't have any kind of infection going on. Once that has been determined we can move on
    to other potential causes of computer slowdowns.

Redo both of the antimalware scans, and an Antivirus scan as well.

Download and run a program called CCleaner, when you run it note & post here the "amount to be removed".
    (See the attached photo)
    I see you have accumulated over 60 GBs worth of data on your primary drive; 137-76.9= approx. 60 GBs.
    To check RAM & processor speed right click on the "My Computer" icon located on your desktop and select properties.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint,

Thanks! Great advice. I'm going to follow all your directions tomorrow and post back results once I've completed them all.

Linda

Thanks
    Many people never clear out their various temp files and log files and error files etc. Heck many don't know they exist. This includes Temp Internet files. CCleaner (as Clint mentioned) can automate this task for you. I also use an app called Privacy Mantra because it seems to find more stuff that CCleaner misses. Just like Malware apps, these tend to find things the other misses. Cleaning out all this temp. stuff once a month, or even once a week may help solve some of your slow down problem.

These are actual shots of what I clean up with CCleaner:

[attachment=90990:CCleaner1.png] [attachment=90991:CCleaner2.png]
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    I've read some earlier posts on this topic, but want to be sure the suggestions apply to Vista SP2 as well as XP. This 2 1/2 year old laptop has become slower and slower over the past few weeks until today, when it is operating at a snail's pace!

I checked the drives and found:
    - C (local drive) 76.9 GB free of 137 GB
    - HP Recovery D 1.97 GBfree of 11.7 GB
    - unsure how to check for RAM

I haven't added any new software, just done the Windows Updates as they became available. I just cleared off a number of shortcuts from my desktop (one post suggested they could be a problem).

What's next? I did an AdAware and SpyBot scan in the last 2 days, but forgot they had been run and turned off the computer without checking to see if I had to remove or quarantine anything!! Not sure how to find out the results of the scans now. Or should I just redo both?

Any suggestions for this issue very welcome - as always!

Linda
    Hi Linda, you can also try this http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/1...-backup-files/
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Have you had a look at the how fragmented your disk is? A couple months ago I saw a laptop that even having quite a few GBs free, that biggest contiguous space available was very small and that caused huge performance problems. Things improved a lot after having the disk defragmented.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Ted Myers' date='2010-12-22 09:25' timestamp='1293009919' post='872223']
    Many people never clear out their various temp files and log files and error files etc. Heck many don't know they exist. This includes Temp Internet files. CCleaner (as Clint mentioned) can automate this task for you. I also use an app called Privacy Mantra because it seems to find more stuff that CCleaner misses. Just like Malware apps, these tend to find things the other misses. Cleaning out all this temp. stuff once a month, or even once a week may help solve some of your slow down problem.

Ted and Clint,

First,Ted, thanks for the additional information and always helpful screen shots. I know about cleaning out temp files, but here's why I've been hesitating on the laptop: there are a number of sites in history that I don't want to lose in case I need to refer to them. Unfortunately,, there are also hundreds that could and should be deleted. As a result, I never delete History files and I'm sure they are clogging up the hard drive, too. Any suggestions on getting around this dilemma?

Second, Clint: Am proceeding very slowly and have just rescanned with both AdAware and SpyBot (Avast Antivirus runs constantly in the background so I didn't do anything with it). AdAware was all clear; SpyBot found 4 Adbrites, which I fixed/deleted, and 9 Coupon Bars. I've tried twice to fix those, only to be told that a restart might get rid of them and I need to run as administrator to get rid of them. I did run scan again as Administrator, but got the exact same message! I haven't restarted yet.

Question: should I do that before going ahead with CCleaner (which I noticed is already on this computer). Are these Coupon Bars really bad? (they are in red)

I will continue once I am sure it's okay to do so!!

Thanks,

Linda

Thanks
    If you know the sites you wish to keep, simply copy the URL's to a different folder or flash drive that you can refer to when you wish to go to these sites. Then you can safely delete all the others clogging things up. Would this work for you?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It should. Of course, I can't remember which sites I wanted to save - it was all a "just in case" thing, Think I'll go ahead and clear them out and trust I've bookmarked the ones I really cared about!

Linda

Edit: Rui, sorry, just saw your suggestion. I haven't defragged in quite a while so will do that right away and see what happens! Thanks.

Thanks
    I actually like a app called Auslogics Disk Defragmenter. This seems to work quicker for me than the Windows defragmenter. I generally choose Defragment and Optimize from the drop down box.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    No problem, Linda.

I actually use PerfectDisk, which is a paid one, but has a trial version. Latest version runs unobtrusively on the background and works its magic.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Don't forget about that antivirus scan. So far you have only scanned with antimalware tools.

If you prefer to use "history" when you browse, you can keep it by deselecting history from within CCleaner
    or your browser's settings.(uncheck history)
    It's the other junk in your browser's cache that needs to go. Keeping your history should not be a problem.

In your browser go to tools, internet options. On the general tab, select the delete button under browsing history. This will open another window, remove
    the checkmark from history as shown in photo.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re. antivirus scan, because Avast runs constantly in the background I thought I didn't have to do a separate scan. However, I've just opened it and see the "scan computer" choice! Duh! Will do that right now and get back to you, Clint. Thanks.

Re. other defrag programs, will check them out, I did just complete the Windows one for all drives.

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    The Windows defrag one is good enough to get you started and diminish any contribution fragmentation can have for the slow performance.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Another thing you could do, but not right away, is to go through your installed programs list and look for applications to remove.
    Look for apps you rarely or no longer use and uninstall them.
    For applications that you want to keep but use minimally, ensure that they are not starting themselves when your computer starts.
    If they show up in the taskbar notification area, right click on the icon and look for a "remove/disable" from startup option.

Defragmentation: Defragmenting is good but defragmenting in the backgrownd may eat away at system resources, especially if your system's
    memory and processor are weak. If this is the case then turn off the schedule and manually defrag once a month.

Re. antivirus scan, because Avast runs constantly in the background I thought I didn't have to do a separate scan. However, I've just opened it and see the "scan computer" choice! Duh! Will do that right now and get back to you, Clint. Thanks.
    It's probably unlikely you have a virus, but I would still run a full sweep just to be sure.
    The reasoning for your slowdowns looks, at this point, to be operating system bloat, but run the antivirus scans and ensure you have the latest antivirus definitions,
    just to be on the safe side.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast