Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Word 2010. I've inserted a equation using a radical. In the print preview, it shows just as inserted.
    However, when I print the page, the radical symbol vanishes except for what appears to be the top of the square root symbol, and the information inside the radical is missing as well -- it was also created using the equation editor.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Occasionally, discrepancies between Print Preview and the actual printout are caused by a corrupted printer font, which typically has a different icon in the Fonts folder than regular Outline and TrueType fonts (e.g., Adobe Type 1 Times or Courier fonts). I don't know whether that could affect an equation; nor do I have Office 2010 to test.

Are you able to print the document to a PDF? In that case, you may be able to bypass the problem by printing from Adobe Reader:

File > Print > "Advanced" button > "Print as image" checkbox

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Occasionally, discrepancies between Print Preview and the actual printout are caused by a corrupted printer font, which typically has a different icon in the Fonts folder than regular Outline and TrueType fonts (e.g., Adobe Type 1 Times or Courier fonts). I don't know whether that could affect an equation; nor do I have Office 2010 to test.

Are you able to print the document to a PDF? In that case, you may be able to bypass the problem by printing from Adobe Reader:

File > Print > "Advanced" button > "Print as image" checkbox
    I saved it as a PDF but the radical symbols still doesn't show in total. Just the top line of the radical symbol. However, the insertion inside the radical appears and prints from the PDF format.

Strange.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kweaver View Post
    I saved it as a PDF but the radical symbols still doesn't show in total. Just the top line of the radical symbol. However, the insertion inside the radical appears and prints from the PDF format.
    Maybe you need to manually increase the line height to accommodate it the equation object? Just a random thought.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Maybe you need to manually increase the line height to accommodate it the equation object? Just a random thought.
    "Increase the line height" -- in Word? That's a new one on me...what do you mean?

Thanks
    "Increase the line height" -- in Word? That's a new one on me...what do you mean?
    Sorry, line spacing. In the paragraph formatting dialog, where you set single/double, you also can set "at least"/"exactly" and a number of points.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Word 2010. I've inserted a equation using a radical. In the print preview, it shows just as inserted.
    However, when I print the page, the radical symbol vanishes except for what appears to be the top of the square root symbol, and the information inside the radical is missing as well -- it was also created using the equation editor.

Any ideas?
    Under Word Options, Display tab, have you checked the Print Drawings created in Word option?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    Under Word Options, Display tab, have you checked the Print Drawings created in Word option?
    Yup, already checked that. Also, changed the line size and that didn't help either.

What a pain. Guess I'll end up using something other than Word.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 not printing equations

Work around: save as the 2010 version docx version to the 97-2003 doc version. This converts all the equations into graphics.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [Sorry; I realized after the fact that this is an old thread. In my defense though, I'm not the one who revived it. <G>. Still, I stand by my advice.]

You don't specify which equation editor you're using. In Word 2010 (as was the case in Word 2007, as well as in Word 2011 on the Mac), there are 2. There's the venerable "Microsoft Equation 3.0", as well as the new "OMML" equation editor. (OMML = Office Math Markup Language). There are known problems printing OMML equations -- both to physical printers and to PDF. There aren't any known problems printing MSE3 equations. Two recommendations... One, if you just really like the way the OMML editor works, and are determined to make it work, do a Google search to see what the fixes or workarounds are. (I don't know what they are, or I'd save you the trouble and just tell you.) Two, you can use the MSE3 by going to the Insert tab, and in the Text group, click Object. If you've used it before in previous versions of Word, the rest is the same as before. If you use OMML, I don't recommend saving the document in "compatibility format", because the equations will turn into images, as aj15phelps pointed out, but they're low-quality images that don't print very well.
    Last edited by afwings; 2012-04-13 at 16:15. Reason: clarification
    Bob Mathews
    Design Science, Inc.