Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever I try to send an email attachment, such as a photo or document, directly from another programís internal email link, I am connected to Windows SkyDrive (which I have never used) instead of Windows Live Mail. This immediately corrupts my email server and requires deleting and reinstalling the server and losing all my saved email. This happens with Photoshop Elements, HP Photo Scanner, FastStone Image Viewer and all my other programs that have an internal email link.

Because this occurs with all these programs, and not just one, I must conclude that itís a Windows problem. Is there an edit I can make to the registry that will link to Windows Live Mail instead? Iím running Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Windows Live Mail 2011 update. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

In WLM, make sure that "Convert messages to photo emails when adding photos" at Options | Mail | Compose is not checked.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, Joe, that didn't work. Same thing happened. Tried to email a photo through FastStone Image Viewer email link, connected me to Windows Live SkyDrive and blew out my email server again. Thanks anyway.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Try just sending photos as attachments, this will bipass SkyDrive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, of course, that's what I have been forced to do since this problem has started. However, all my email photos are WAY too large, forcing me to go through wasteful extra steps to downsize them to make them acceptable to both my recipients' screens and to my isp.

The aforementioned programs (and others) allow me to downsize them automatically within the program. That's why I would like this linking problem corrected.

I'm not at all convinced this is a WLM problem. It is the Windows 7 os that the programs are running under when the link redirection is taking place and I still believe this item correctly belongs in the Windows 7 category.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Not sure if it will help, but have you checked the Windows Default Programs or Associations:

Programs: Control Panel -> Programs -> Default Programs?
    Set Associations: Control Panel -> Programs -> Set Associations?

I would probably start with the latter and check what program is associated with the MailTo protocol.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cushman View Post
    Many thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, of course, that's what I have been forced to do since this problem has started. However, all my email photos are WAY too large, forcing me to go through wasteful extra steps to downsize them to make them acceptable to both my recipients' screens and to my isp.

The aforementioned programs (and others) allow me to downsize them automatically within the program. That's why I would like this linking problem corrected.

I'm not at all convinced this is a WLM problem. It is the Windows 7 os that the programs are running under when the link redirection is taking place and I still believe this item correctly belongs in the Windows 7 category.
    In WLE 2011 there is an option to select just one photo at a time,repeat, rsize, and then select another...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint, that would work but is EXTREMELY time-consuming if I need to send, say, 15 or more photos to a client. This can done all at once in my photo programs. But it really doesn't solve the basic linking problem:

Forget for the moment resizing photos or anything else. If I scan a small document in my HP or Epson scanner, I am offered "Output to : File or Printer or Email" If I choose "Email" it links to SkyDrive and crashes my server. In Adobe Photoshop Elements and FastStone Image Viewer and many other programs there is an icon of an envelope that means "direct the output to my email program." If I choose this, I am sent to SkyDrive instead of my email and --CRASH-- again. The same is true for ALL programs I have that offer an email link. And therein lies the problem.

Before I upgraded to Win7, I used XP. When I used the above email links it would go directly to Outlook Express with the file(s) already inserted as attachments -- with photos downsized if necessary through the aforementioned photo programs. Frankly I long for good old Outlook Express or any other email program that would allow linking to. But Win7 gives no other option than WLM. I'm still convinced that the Win7 registry can be edited to direct me straight to WLM (or some other email program) DIRECTLY and bypass this SkyDrive troublemaker and is REALLY A Win7 PROBLEM. For that reason I'm sorry that this thread was moved here from the Win7 forum where someone probably knows how to regedit this problem. I'm certain that there's a simple solution!!

Thanks again anyway for your help and suggestions -- much appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cushman View Post
    Thanks, Clint, that would work but is EXTREMELY time-consuming if I need to send, say, 15 or more photos to a client. This can done all at once in my photo programs. But it really doesn't solve the basic linking problem:

Forget for the moment resizing photos or anything else. If I scan a small document in my HP or Epson scanner, I am offered "Output to : File or Printer or Email" If I choose "Email" it links to SkyDrive and crashes my server. In Adobe Photoshop Elements and FastStone Image Viewer and many other programs there is an icon of an envelope that means "direct the output to my email program." If I choose this, I am sent to SkyDrive instead of my email and --CRASH-- again. The same is true for ALL programs I have that offer an email link. And therein lies the problem.

Before I upgraded to Win7, I used XP. When I used the above email links it would go directly to Outlook Express with the file(s) already inserted as attachments -- with photos downsized if necessary through the aforementioned photo programs. Frankly I long for good old Outlook Express or any other email program that would allow linking to. But Win7 gives no other option than WLM. I'm still convinced that the Win7 registry can be edited to direct me straight to WLM (or some other email program) DIRECTLY and bypass this SkyDrive troublemaker and is REALLY A Win7 PROBLEM. For that reason I'm sorry that this thread was moved here from the Win7 forum where someone probably knows how to regedit this problem. I'm certain that there's a simple solution!!

Thanks again anyway for your help and suggestions -- much appreciated.
    My previous post will allow you to specify what app to use, by default, for email. Did you try that?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. The only email program offered, and set as default, is WLM. Interestingly, SkyDrive is not mentioned anywhere on my computer, even in a search!!

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hmmm... weird that it behaves like that.

I would install another email client, just to try to see how the system would behave, say, Thunderbird. Would test to see if Thunderbird would be used in similar situations, instead of Skydrive. If it did, I would then go back to Control Panel -> Programs, select WLM and choose the option to set WLM as the default program.

My reasoning for suggesting this would be to try and change the behavior you see now, through the new app. If that worked, then see what happens if you set WLM as the default option.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    SkyDrive is closely tied to WLM 2011. You have an option to put photos automatically to SkyDrive when composing a photo email. The email will then contain a link to SkyDrive thus reducing the size of the email tremendously. Theorectically the check box in the "Photo Emails" section at File | Options | Mail | Compose controls using SkyDrive.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds like something I'd like to investigate but I can't locate File | Options | Mail | Compose. Is that in WLM or where???

Administrator
    Thanks
    In WLM.

[attachment=91018:Capture.PNG]

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried sending email with this box both checked and unchecked. Same result: tells me to sign into SkyDrive, then crashes my email server when I ignore that directive and send.

For the record, when I want to scan and then send something that's for one person's eyes only, I'm certainly not going to post it instead to some online storage site! I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in opening a SkyDrive account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast