Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 with a dell ST2400 monitor connected with a HDMI Cable. I cannot get sound even though windows reports all devices working properly and they seem to be "playing" the sounds but I get NO sound. I tried enabling the HDMI connection on the Monitor menu, device manager, audio properties, every sound setting in Windows 7 that I could think of. Everything says it is working yet it is not. What am I missing here? I am far from a newbie here been working IT for 20 years now, but I confess that this has me stumped altogether. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. Oh, 8GB ram, 1.5TB hdd. external hdd of 500GB. MS Life cam and not much else.

Thanks
    I am not familiar with the Dell ST2400. Are the speakers built into the monitor?
    How are the speakers connected to the computer?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joela44 View Post
    Everything says it is working yet it is not. What am I missing here? stumped altogether. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
    joela44,
    Hello... Right click on desktop and select (in my case) NVIDIA control panel... Select "Change Windows Sound Settings" Right click on your desired "HDMI" monitor, and set as default ( each time you want to use it )..OK out. You will have to switch back when finished to make your "Speakers Work" (on PC ) back to default. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I have the ATI control center, but there is NO audio option in any of the screens.
    Clint, It is I think the ST2410 and yes there are speakers and it is connected to the pc with a new HDMI cable, which is recognized, and again windows claims that all devices are "working properly" Thanks for the try though. Any other ideas folks?

Thanks
    I would assume you went to Control Panel/Sound and followed through with these commands:

[attachment=91014:Sound.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    joela44,

Hello... Yes as Ted has stated ... Also when i was initially trying to get my HDMI set up i recall that there were many that couldn't get "sound " The fix was to take the (green) audio output on your PC and feed it into the monitor ( or my case was the TV) that was the fix until i discovered the "set as default" trick. (in the Windows screen if you right click on the HDMI ) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for my mess up here folks. Although the monitor APPEARS to have speakers, and it uses HDMI, it apparently does NOT have them built in! It does have a connector for audio in and one for audio out in it though so my confusion is somewhat less embarrassing. It seems that the monitor has the ability to run speakers but it does not have any in it! Sorry again for the waste of time. Maybe it will help someone else though! Have a happy new year's holiday all!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joela44 View Post
    Maybe it will help someone else though! Have a happy new year's holiday all!
    joela,
    Hello... Thanks for posting back ... and you are correct all this input does help...who knows how many more ? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for re-posting this, I couldn't find the original. ANyway, windows says that my speakers are not plugged in now! Stil workign on it but will take any suggestions. Happy New Year to all!!