Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a friend that upgraded to Windows 7 against my advice at this time. Now when he uses Internet Explorer, it seems that other programs tend to open and run including music. I have never seen this behavior before, so cannot help him at all.

Any Suggestions as to what the problem is?

Charles H (Mike) Parker

Thanks
    I have not a clue why it would be against anyones advice to upgrade to Win 7!!!

He probably did an upgrade rather than a Clean (Custom) install and carried over problems or incompatibilities from his original installation to his new OS. The best answer I can give is to reinstall Windows 7, but instead of choosing upgrade, choose Custom install. When you choose Custom install, the installation creates a folder called windows.old which holds the entire old OS. He can open this folder and get favorites, contacts, links, etc and drag them into the new OS. Afterward the windows.old folder can be deleted as it is quite large.

Win 7 is the most stable and in my humble opinion, best OS ever developed. Most problems are associated with older hardware, incompatible older apps (usually 16 Bit apps) and problems carried over from an old installation. Why would you want to install a gleaming new installation of a great OS into an older, most likely problem ladden OS with older apps than may not have been updated in years. Just doesn't make sense. Doing the Custom install allows weeding out of unused apps, older apps, and allows installation of newer versions of apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Win 7 is the most stable and in my humble opinion, best OS ever developed.
    We should hope so, they've had plenty of practice and not all attempts were successful!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Like I said, in my humble opinion, and practice does make perfect. I will not leave Win 7 until Win 8 is released. I will never go back to XP.Even with minor problems that surface periodically, Win 7 is far superior to XP, in my humble opinion, is far more secure, is far more stable, etc. Yes there are those out there that will work tirelessly to try to hack, corrupt, attack, etc Win 7 because they have nothing better to do. But so far, this OS has resisted those attacks better than others. They say Linux is less prone to attacks, but this is only because it is a far, far less tempting target with it's very small base. With a small amount of good security apps, Win 7 is very stable and secure. MS has indeed hit a HR and thank you to them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    They say Linux is less prone to attacks, but this is only because it is a far, far less tempting target with it's very small base.
    I don't know about less tempting: I think Google runs all of its operations on Linux (or some flavor of Unix). But if you want to target the largest number of people who will click on anything, Windows makes the most sense.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post
    I have a friend that upgraded to Windows 7 against my advice at this time. Now when he uses Internet Explorer, it seems that other programs tend to open and run including music. I have never seen this behavior before, so cannot help him at all.

Any Suggestions as to what the problem is?

Charles H (Mike) Parker

I'd have to agree with Ted on this one.
    If you have to install a new operating system do a proper clean install. This sort off weird off the wall behavior is not worth the effort to
    spend alot of time troubleshooting.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.