Thanks
    Good evening!

In the last few weeks I've experienced several episodes of Win 7 not loading on start-up, only recourse was to do a forced shut down. Follow up restart is always successful. The event log shows 4 entries occurring in the same order at each start-up, whether the issue occurs or not. If I did a restart right now, the same 4 entries would show up in the event log. Please see screen shots below:

[attachment=91007:Admin Events.jpg]

[attachment=91008:WMI.jpg]

[attachment=91009:Wininit.jpg]

[attachment=91010:Kernel-Tracing.jpg]

[attachment=91011:Event 1530.jpg]

OS is Win 7 64-bit on a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop. I can't think of anything new that has been installed lately, although I have uninstalled some unused apps. MSE and MBAM complete scans are clean. Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

Thanks
    Hi John, have you tried 'event log online help' on your images. Try a start with only monitor, mouse and keyboard connected. Check as my image.

[attachment=91012:Untitled.jpg]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Does the same thing happen if you boot into safe mode? If not, then you should check for updated device drivers.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think this is a driver issue. From the stop code and other error codes it smells more like a software or permissions issue. There seem to be two possibilities, one is that a critical file is corupt, the other is that a critical file was deleted or replaced with an older version when un-installed software. A little quick research of the stop code brings up several threads related to the MSE OOBE error. Here's a thread that sounds like it may have a plausible fix: MS Tech Forums thread. This is logical since one of the events is a WMI query error (Windows Management Instrumentation). Anti-virus almost always has a hook into WMI. A little more about Event 10 can be found here: WMI error fix.

However, I would be leery about making any changes to WMI. You can render your PC useless faster than a bad registry edit. Here's are a couple of easy things to try, the easiest it to do a system restore from a date prior to un-installing software. The second thought is to create a restore point, then uninstall MSE. Boot up in Safe Mode under the local admin account, then delete your profile via the Advanced System Settings dialog. Reboot, reinstall MSE. I personally would try the later. The possibility that a file MSE uses has been replaced by an older version seems very plausible.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Merry Christmas!

Thanks Roderunner, JoeP and Chuck for your help. Here is my progress to date:

RR- Event Log Online Help showed "no results were found..." for Wininit issue. WMI issue yielded information WAY too complicated for me. As for the system startup dump file, I figured out how to do that, but cannot open the .dmp file to view it.

JoeP- same results in safe mode.

Chuck- I followed your links, and decided to go ahead and delete the MSSEOOBE.etl file. That seems to have taken care of the Kernel-Event Tracing and the Event 1530 issues ( my bottom 2 screen shots). The other 2 screen shots (WMI and Wininit) continue at each start up.

Again, thanks for all of your help.
    John

Thanks
    Hello John,

You can easily view your dump file with Nirsoft's BlueScreenView here. It will many times identify the offending file(s) that triggered the event.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hello John,

You can easily view your dump file with Nirsoft's BlueScreenView here. It will many times identify the offending file(s) that triggered the event.
    Gerald-

Humorously, I had grabbed BlueScreenView many months ago, at the time thinking that it could be useful someday. Promptly forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me, especially now that "someday" has arrived!

Here is a shot of the last crash:

[attachment=91068:Mini File Dump 122110.jpg]

Mean anything to anyone?

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi John,

Dxgkrnl.sys is a Directx driver. Windows 7 comes with Directx 11. Directx is related to the functionality of your video card. Check to be sure you have the latest updates to Directx 11, and then check your video card driver support for the video driver released just before the one you have installed now, as well as the newest driver that has been released. You can try the newest driver first, and if that does not help, try the driver released just one version back from the one you currently have installed. Video drivers can be quirky, and the most recently released drivers can be flaky. I would uninstall the current video driver before installing a different one.

There can be other factors that can cause any driver to fault resulting in a BSOD. It can be a software or hardware issue. Check out this SevenForums link for some tips on troubleshooting the Dxgkrnl.sys generated BSOD. If you follow the thread through all four pages, the fix for this case was to replace the CPU. That does not mean it is the case for your issue, it just illustrates the possibilities.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Windows 7 comes with Directx 11.
    John, please excuse my hijacking of your topic.
    Gerald, when I installed W7 I also installed http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en I never knew W7 was Directx 11. Any suggestions ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Directx 9.0c is the highest version of Directx XP is able to utilize (there are some work arounds to enable XP to utilize Directx 10, but I am given to understand they are not worth the effort).

As far a Windows 7 goes, you should be just fine with Directx 9.0c, because you already have elements of Directx 10 and 9.0 already including in Directx 11. In other words, Directx 11 is still there in your Windows 7 installation. The installer you ran should not have replaced Directx 11.

I have an Nvidia 7950GT card in my Windows 7 desktop (I upgraded), and it can only use Directx 9.0c or lower, not Directx 11, and Windows 7 plays all my four and five year old games just fine. The way I understand it, if I purchase a game that requires Directx 11 to run I would have to buy a Directx 11 capable video card.

Here is a Microsoft Answers thread that you might find interesting. And here is another one.
    Deadeye81