New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on a second hard drive of my computer resulting in a dual boot system. This is a compter I built and have run XP on it for about 2 years with no problems. When I go to exit the Win 7 machine, by hitting the Restart command, the machine shuts down instead of restarting. How would I go about troubleshooting this? It would appear to be a software issue since the commnad is software generated? Any help would be appreciated.

John Foster

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are your device drivers and BIOS up-to-date?

Is Windows 7 up-to-date with patches?

Are you attempting to shut down via the Start Orb & Shutdown Button or some application?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I feel like all my device drivers are up to date but my BIOS isn't and I wondered if that might be the problem. Windows 7 has been updated. I am attempting to resart vial the Start Orb Restart button.

John

Thanks
    Are you able to successfully restart by untilizing the red colored menu at the bottom right of the screen upon "Alt+Ctrl"Del"?
    Or are you getting the same shut down behavior.

Not a solution to your problem but something to try out;
    Head over to GRC.com and pick up a copy of Wizmo. Place Wizmo in your C:\Windows directory and short cut it to your desktop.
    Right click on the newly created Wizmo shortcut icon and enter the following in it's shortcut properties to the right of "target":
    C:\Windows\wizmo.exe reboot!

This should force a reboot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the Wizmo and it did the same thing. I have tried all afternoon to update my Asus motherboard bios and called it quits. Their bios update program doesn't seem to work for anyone and I guess I will just have to live with my problem.

Thanks to all that have tried to help me,

John

Thanks
    When you installed Windows 7, did you also install the chipset drivers that Asus has for that model of motherboard?
    Consider reinstalling chipset drivers.
    Have you attempted to install the BIOS from a boot disk rather than from within Windows 7 by means of an exe?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.