Lounger
    Thanks

I have an HP Pavillion laptop (dv6426us) that I don't use often enough. When I do use it, I have big problems with the keyboard, I can be typing along and all of a sudden the next letter may appear two sentences back and continue to type is over what I typed already! I read something somewhere...where there may be some setting of something to change, rather than a hardware problem. I plan to use the laptop more often for my work and was hoping to figure a solution soon. I am using Vista Ultimate, 3GB mem, Intel Core Duo CPU 2 GHz. Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That usually happens with my Toshiba laptop, until I disable my touchpad through the function keys. It is the inadvertent touching on the touchpad that causes it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I think Rui has nailed it. I get calls on this very issue several times a year.
    Some laptops it is easy to disable the touchpad, others it isn't (may have to be done in the BIOS). If it isn't easy just get a cheap USB keyboard and use that for serious typing (it will probably be better than the built-in one anyway).

Jock

Thanks
    If the control panel doesn't let you disable it, a thin piece of stiff cardboard and transparent tape will take care of it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    After a couple days of trying everyone's answers and "beating my hands with a hammer" I discovered the ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM BY ACCIDENT!! This a.m. I turned on the laptop to try one more time and happened to glance down at the touchpad (we never look at that thing!) and right at the top of the black touchpad border, there is this little raised black bump (hard to see). Hmmm, I wonder what that does? IT TURNS ON AND OFF THE TOUCHPAD...HELLO, IT TURNS ON AND OFF THE TOUCHPAD! Wow! I wonder what crystal ball I forgot to look in to know that! I turned off the touchpad and VOILA! I'm typing like I knew what I was doing! Thought I would pass that on as another solution, possibly same some other poor soul time and their blood pressure. Thanks again to you all for you support