Thread: Under clocking

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My BIOS has no provision for changing clock speeds. Does anyone know of any utility that can manage under clocking?

Thanks
    Which operating system?
    Some very basic memory and processor underclocking may be done from within the operating system's advanced settings
    if the right hardware is present.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Peter,

Most laptops do this via the Power Management setting.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Thanks for both your responses. The pc is an Acer five year old Aspire 5000 laptop running XP Pro SP3. There is nothing relevant under Power Management. Clint - where did you mean by the OS's "Advanced settings" please? I have had a good look round most places without finding anything.

Thanks
    msconfig; Number of processors, Maximum memory. Not a true underclock in the conventional sense.
    Why would you want to underclock? Are you experiencing heating issues?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - yes I found the equivalent under XP's msconfig thanks. However there is only one processor and limited memory to start with so this did not take me very far. Re, "why" - short version is "yes, heating". The fan died and replacing it cost more that it was worth. I have fitted an external fan which generally works pretty well, and the laptop is now relegated to backup management only. Some large scale dumps take the processor into the 70 odd deg C range. There is no timing issues associated with it's work, and since it switches back and forth between 800 Meg and 1.6 GHz I know it can work at both rates.I would be quite happy if it sat at 800 MHz permanently.

Peter

Thanks
    If your not willing to spend the money on a replacement fan you will be forced to deal with the temperatures.
    I would not rely on this machine for backup, or anything else for that matter.
    For all intent and purpose it is broken.
    The only true clock adjustment settings are in the BIOS, but most laptops don't allow for voltage changes.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thanks for trying. Fan replacement $150 - new Netbook $220! So now I travel with the netbook.
    Peter