Lounger
    Thanks

Will an upgrade from Vista to Win7 solve it?

My PC gave up completely after trying to install Vista SP2. I managed to do a 'system recovery' file backup so at least my data was intact. (ish!)

The only way to get it booted up (after 2 days of trying) was to re-install back to original factory installation - which I did. Another 2 days of installing all of the security updates, and then putting files back where they were - with interim permission changes on some folders - and I thought I was good to go. Fool.

Then I re-installed i-tunes and it refuses to recognise my music library - (which is 40GB and I don't want to lose it). I have searched the forum and I will try the suggestions about the downloads for the unlocker software and also the hints about "echo y| cacls "Folder/File" /T /G %username%:F "

...but the bottom line is this - If I bite the bullet and buy a Windows 7 upgrade at the weekend - will it solve my problems for me or will I still have permission problems.? If it will I think I will take that route instead.

Thanks
    Hi philb,

You might need to take ownership of the files you are having difficulties with. Check out this Vista Forums tutorial on 'taking ownership'. Hope this helps.

If you do an 'in place' upgrade to Windows 7 from inside your Vista installation, Windows 7 will likely inherit all your current problems. The only way around that is to do a Custom (essentially a clean install) install by booting from the Windows 7 installation DVD. All of your personal files as well as your Vista installation will be moved to a folder named 'Windows.old'. You can delete Windows.old after you have copied anything out of it that you want. However, if you have a backup of all your music files, I would rely on the backup to restore the music after moving to Windows 7.

Try the 'take ownership' tutorial first. You may not need to install Windows 7, although it is a better OS. At least it would give you more time to make the move if you can get your Vista issues resolved.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    You will always experience permissions problems if you go with default os settings, irregardless of whether it's Vista or 7.

1 The first thing to do upon clean install is turn off UAC, and I mean the very first single thing to do upon your very first bootup.
    If you have even a resonable amount of computer experience and are not totally inept when it comes to security, you will not need or miss UAC.
    2 Install the "takeOwnership" regfile. It's probably, hands down, the best thing going right now in terms of permissions control. Follow Gerald's link
    and read their tutorials.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ...but the bottom line is this - If I bite the bullet and buy a Windows 7 upgrade at the weekend - will it solve my problems for me or will I still have permission problems.? If it will I think I will take that route instead.
    NOPE! Won't solve the problem with permissions, gotta go the other way for that, back to say Win 95, where about the only thing Windows knew about permissions is how to help you spell it in a word document.
    I blow away as many restrictions as I can at the start and I still run into some permissions issues here and there in 7. If you turn off hiding system folders, she's all paddle locked up!!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there - you replied to my post about whether I should upgrade to Windows 7. I am writing to say thank you for your advice about taking ownership - all is now fine, please accept my apologies for not getting back to you earlier.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint
    many thanks for your reply - all is now fine with Winbubble - thanks again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philb View Post
    Hi there - you replied to my post about whether I should upgrade to Windows 7. I am writing to say thank you for your advice about taking ownership - all is now fine, please accept my apologies for not getting back to you earlier.
    Adding to what gerald and Clint stated, an upgrade to Win 7, if you choose, will give you a more secure OS from the start. I also find that Win 7 seems more secure and quicker than Vista was. There are many places to get suggestions on installation and customizing your OS if you do take the jump. I will add a couple of my favorites here:

How To Geek

Paul Thurrott's Windows Supersite

Windows Seven Forums Tutorials

Thanks for responding back with your positive comments on Taking Ownership. These positive results are always helpful for the next person with similar problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I believe that WinBubble can allow taking ownership without switching off UACs altogether. I do recommend cranking down the UAC Slider a notch or two for a Standard User Account, but not totally disabling it. For an Administrator Account (and everyone should have one of these) the UAC permissions rarely cause much trouble, but they can be annoying. They do not provide much added security by themselves.
    -- Bob Primak --