Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just this morning my computer is unable to load webpages through Firefox or IE. It connects to the internet, but the pages won't load. I was able to access my office computer remotely, so I know the internet connection works...which is how I posted this.

Please advise why this is not working suddenly. Thank you!!!

Thanks
    This troubleshooting page at MozillaZine has a lengthy checklist of things to check: Error loading websites - MozillaZine Knowledge Base.

Also, make sure your security software is up-to-date and the PC is clean.

Any luck?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No luck with that. I scanned the computer and it is clean. We were able to get online and all websites were working fine...now, again, none of them will load. Seems odd that this would happen so suddenly. What else can cause this problem?

Thanks
    Sounds like a DNS problem. Try Open DNS by using 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as primary and secondary Domain Name Servers.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I entered the primary DNS and secondary DNS as you indicated and it is working now...even faster than before. The DNS's were blank before I entered your numbers. Hopefully this will take care of it.

Thank you!!!!!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, that didn't work completely. We are again unable to get online because the sites won't load. This problem comes and goes.

Is there something that can be causing this?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Additional information on this...under the network connections, I attempted to repair the connection and I got the message on the attachment. Perhaps this is the problem?

Thank you again for all your help on this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, but now I got a Visual C++ Runtime error. Please see attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    What happens when you try to flush the DNS Cache? http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-flush-dns.html

Make sure you don't have a proxy server set. Control Panel > Internet options > Connections > Lan settings Use a Proxy server should be unchecked. If that doesn't work, try Use automatic settings on the same page.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tmg9671 View Post
    We were able to get online and all websites were working fine...now, again, none of them will load. Seems odd that this would happen so suddenly. What else can cause this problem?
    If you haven't already, try power-cycling (turn off or unplug, then turn back on or plug back in) everything between your PC and the outside line. This may include a cable/DSL modem and a router, or just one or the other.

By any chance do you run Skype? Given all the network problems during the past few days, you might try unloading it, in case other nodes (i.e., you) are picking up the slack for the nodes that are down. Or maybe that is all resolved by now...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    when you go to open network and sharing center
    what do you see?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I’m having trouble getting links to load, links I use often and that we typically look at every day. I click on a link, get a partial upload, then when I do a refresh the site pops up. And it doesn't happen every time. It even does it with firefox, which I use, and my wife’s IE. I've tried all the solutions suggested above and still have some problems.

Thanks
    Open Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections tab > LAN Settings button and make sure the Use a proxy server .... box is not checked. You might also want to check the Automatically detect settings box but that shouldn't be necessary.

I would also download and run Malware Bytes to make sure you didn't pick up some malware.
    Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2011-02-01 at 12:35.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

dlcampbe (2011-02-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Things seem to be better now, I opened the router menu and reset all DNS entries to zero.