Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using computers for many years and have come across my share of frustrating errors and glitches that were eventually solved. Now that I have just switched to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, there is a brand new annoyance to deal with: "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel." This message box pops up at random times. I use (for years) Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client and set all associations to recognize it as the default.
    There is one thread that I can find on this forum which has a similar question except that it is based on using a webmail client so it did not provide any help. Googleing got lots of hits but very little useful information.
    Does anyone know how to prevent this annoying message from popping up? Is there a registry hack or some obscure setting that I can use? As I have mentioned, this is only an annoyance but I like to work on a clean, well behaved system with as few unexplained problems as possible.

Thanks,
    Ken Gash

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    In Control Panel -> Default Programs choose Associate a File Type or Protocol to a Program. Near the end of the List, what do you have for the MailTo protocol? If it is not set for Thunderbird, click the Change Program button and choose Thunderbird.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    In Control Panel -> Default Programs choose Associate a File Type or Protocol to a Program. Near the end of the List, what do you have for the MailTo protocol? If it is not set for Thunderbird, click the Change Program button and choose Thunderbird.
    Thank you for your response. I have already done this and the message continues to appear.

Thanks
    Hi Ken, as your using[s] Blunderbird[/s] Thunderbird, I reckon your also using FFox. Try :-

[attachment=91030:Capture.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Gash View Post
    Thank you for your response. I have already done this and the message continues to appear.
    When you installed Thunderbird, did you execute the installer with "run as administrator"?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have completely uninstalled Thunderbird and then installed it "as Administrator". I still get the popup message!

Administrator
    Thanks
    That's really weird. Is there any specificity to the situations where you get the popup that could help understand why it happens?

P.S.: See if this article helps. At the bottom it has a link to an article that specifies the registry keys to make Thunderbird the default email client. If you want to try them, be sure to create a restore point before you do it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rui Ribeiro' date='2010-12-26 17:00' timestamp='1293411616' post='872749']
    That's really weird. Is there any specificity to the situations where you get the popup that could help understand why it happens?

Thanks for the suggestion. After carefuly watching the appearance of the popup, I noticed that it was associated with a particular file: X1 which is a desktop and email search. The version I am using in rather old and I didn't feel like shelling out $50 to get the latest update. After I uninstalled X1, the popup problem seems to have disappeared.
    I have only had this Windows 7 Professional 64 for less than 2 weeks and am learning that some older programs seem to work but could possibly cause seemingly unrelated problems in the system.
    Thanks again. I know that as other quirks and problems appear, I will find helpful expertise on this site
    Ken Gash

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you found the culprit, Ken .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Gash View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. After carefuly watching the appearance of the popup, I noticed that it was associated with a particular file: X1 which is a desktop and email search. The version I am using in rather old and I didn't feel like shelling out $50 to get the latest update. After I uninstalled X1, the popup problem seems to have disappeared.
    I have only had this Windows 7 Professional 64 for less than 2 weeks and am learning that some older programs seem to work but could possibly cause seemingly unrelated problems in the system.
    According to X1 Search Solutions the upgrade price is $34.95 (not that I'm encouraging you to shell out the cash ).

You ought to try the Windows 7 search. Just check the search settings to make sure that what you want to search is indexed. Go to Start and type "change how windows searches" in to the search box. Modify the index settings to what you need. Then click on "Advanced" and then "Rebuild" to force the search index to be rebuilt.

Joe
    Joe