Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    For reasons not relevant here, I decided to ditch the Windows XP Professional SP2 system supplied with my Lenovo laptop and install a fresh system from non Lenovo sources (except for drivers).

Purchased in 2008 (to have as a spare) Windows XP Professional SP2 OEM CD in its sealed wrapping. Now I have slipstreamed SP3 into the SP2 to produce Windows XP Professional SP3 OEM.

Removed the old XP installation from the laptop by formatting C: and installed the new slip streamed XP onto C:. At appropriate stage entered the product key on the label, which was accepted. Declined to activate, which was not possible online because laptop was not connected by wireless or LAN.

Later (after installing Lenovo drivers and setting display and desktop my way, etc) connected to LAN and internet. Tried to activate but could not find any relevant menu item. Ran “00be/msoobe/a” and was told that it was already activated. Puzzled by that.

Tried to run Windows Update (actually Microsoft Update). Was told that I did not have a genuine windows and was unable to run Microsoft Update. Furious with that. Emailed vendor (Amazon UK reseller) arranging for refund and return instructions.

Did a bit of Googling and found Windows Product Key Update Tool. Ran it and inserted the product key that Lenovo supplied with the original XP that came with the machine. Imagine my surprise when it worked and I was able to run Microsoft Update normally.

I feel that there is a catch somewhere. Did I really have a pirated CD, and has what I have done made it into a legal system? Will the new installation turn round and bite me one day? If it was a pirated CD which has been made legal - can I trust that the pirated CD now made honest had correct and uncorrupted Windows files on it? It would be very difficult now to get another (legal) copy of XP. I do want to stay with XP until April 2014.

Genuine Advantage validation seems to run when it feels like it. Is there a way to force it to re-validate again. It would be reassuring if I could get it to repeat that the system is valid.

Is it OK to stick with this, please? (If so I can tell the vendor to relax).

Thanks
    Hi John, Welcome to The Lounge.
    For future reference, any install of an OS on a laptop should be done with a wired router connection.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Not sure what caused that (OEM license for XP SP2 used with XP SP3?), but it's the key that actually determines whether your installation is legitimate or, so using a valid key should prevent any further issues. There have been cases, however, where there have been problems with WGA, so I am not sure if anyone can give any assurances about that.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm thinking along the same lines as Rui. I don't know if Lenovo ties the product key (generic subset) right into the BIOS like Dell does but it sounds something like that, therefore the OEM key was not in the proper range for that Lenovo and using the original key should make it good to go for good....but WGA is just unpredictable enough so that I can't say that for sure.

So the OEM could be legit and would be fine in any non-manufacturer build.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good early Christmas morning to you, John.

Your question about being legal on your "doctored" machine has me thinking too about my machine. To make it a short story, if any set of keys says that it likes your machine and is accepted by the MGA, you are done and be it !

Now my story, I redid an Acer desktop that came with a Vista OEM OS of 32 bitness , I installed first a Win-7 of like bitness and used that provided keys on the label. Not the end of the story, I then over installed Win-7 in 64 bitness and I could not get the same keys accepted, brace yourself now, I used the keys for a Toshiba laptop running Win-7 and it took them. Bill Gates seems to be happy with that, I get all Updates too. If I use the command " Validate ", it says that I am an honest fellow and the World smiles on me, hey, this is Christmas.

Short story: if once validated, accept the fact and do not loose any sleep over it, regardless of what/where/how you got it validated. I have no explanation for this.

Be good...........Jean.

Thanks
    I've been called out to REPAIR several PC's that were 100% legal, but WGA had reared its ugly head and told the user they were using an Illegal copy of windows. The quick fix was a twofold solution. First I ran a little routine to remove WGA from the computer, then I shut off Auto Updates. End of problem!

Most people in the world can get along nicely without ever another MS Update, till H*** freezes over. I know danged well, I can.

Happy New Year Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Roderunner for confirming use of wired connection when installing an OS.

I frequently (incorrectly) refer to LAN when I mean cable. I should have said "Declined to activate, which was not possible online because laptop was not connected to LAN by wireless or cable". I was attempting to show that I had no connection to the internet so activation on line was impossible (I did not use phone or modem) - yet the instant after connecting to the internet I found it was activated. I had answered "Help protect your PC" - "Not right now", "Connect to Internet" - "yes through LAN". My check list had ready the question "Activate" - to which I intended to answer "No"; I was surprised that I wasn't even asked the question. The next question was "Register" - "No".

I know that online activation can be very quick, so perhaps the system was primed to activate automatically immediately it found an internet connection, however it declined to tell me until running "00be/msoobe/a" reported that Windows was already activated.

Thanks Rui, Byron, Jean and Dr Who for your suggestions. I asked Microsoft one more time at Genuine Microsoft Software – Diagnostic Site (http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/) if it was genuine, and it emphatically said yes, so I will stop worrying and apologise to the vendor!

Thanks
    John, In the past, the amount of auto activations allowed was limited, then one had to call M Soft (toll free in UK) to do so. I think that has been changed as a clean install really speeds up a PC, even if only in use for a few months. Possible all the updates that don't completely rewrite when installing. IF YOU GET ANY.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No Windows update? You want the customer to get malware?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
    I've been called out to REPAIR several PC's that were 100% legal, but WGA had reared its ugly head and told the user they were using an Illegal copy of windows. The quick fix was a twofold solution. First I ran a little routine to remove WGA from the computer, then I shut off Auto Updates. End of problem!

Most people in the world can get along nicely without ever another MS Update, till H*** freezes over. I know danged well, I can.

Happy New Year Mates!
    The Doctor

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Lam View Post
    No Windows update? You want the customer to get malware?
    Actaully, MS security patches do not protect against Malware itself, only the vulnerabilities sometimes exploited by malware. If the use never connects to the Internet, then there really isn't a reason to patch.

I myself only update my PCs two or three times a year. However, to say its OK to never patch is a bit reckless. The vulnerabilities and exploits are very real. The danger isn't so much that it'll cause problems with your PC, but that want your personal data.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I know the reason why WGA failed is because you key for xp pro is keyed for a sp2 installed. when you slip stream sp3 in there, the wga system will say there is mis-match disk to serial #. I'm very certain of this as I tried installing a oem xp pro w/sp3 disk with the key from a completely sp2 legit sticker. when i switch on a disk with only sp2, it validated with no problem. fyi, you actually can use the key on the xp pro sticker on the back of your thinkpad as long as it is for the same version and sp of xp. you actually can use a xp sp1 key on a sp2 disk. but xp sp3 disk only work with sp3 key. personally, i will use the stock xp install of Lenovo. It is the ONLY laptop manufacturer that don't bloat up their install with junk. mind you, i only have experience with their business T and X series.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After getting "stuck" with Windows XP original version key which wouldn't allow update to SP2 several years ago, I bought a "Genuine" version directly from Microsoft.

Purchased a new system a few years ago with (ugh) Vista on it so XP was relegated to my backup system. After replacing a defective motherboard and slipstreaming SP3 I installed and activated XP with no problems.

Many of these problems could be eliminated if major vendors sold systems with no OS on them with a coupon permitting the buyer to purchase any retail version of Windows 7 at a discounted price within 30 days. Even better simply provide a retail install disk and key instead of an OEM key. M$ still gets their money.

BTW I have replaced Vista on both my main system and laptop with Win 7. I have two retail copies bought during a half-price sale in 2009. I have the install disks and product keys.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

so what is the little routine to remove WGA

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post

Happy New Year Mates!
    The Doctor

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan H Rosenthal View Post
    After getting "stuck" with Windows XP original version key which wouldn't allow update to SP2 several years ago, I bought a "Genuine" version directly from Microsoft.

Purchased a new system a few years ago with (ugh) Vista on it so XP was relegated to my backup system. After replacing a defective motherboard and slipstreaming SP3 I installed and activated XP with no problems.

Many of these problems could be eliminated if major vendors sold systems with no OS on them with a coupon permitting the buyer to purchase any retail version of Windows 7 at a discounted price within 30 days. Even better simply provide a retail install disk and key instead of an OEM key. M$ still gets their money.

BTW I have replaced Vista on both my main system and laptop with Win 7. I have two retail copies bought during a half-price sale in 2009. I have the install disks and product keys.
    Not allowing you to update to sp2? What was the error msg? Any
    How all my pc is now using win 7

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found this to be an interesting topic; though I have been subscribing to the Widows Secrets for several years now and joined the lounge upon its inception here at Secrets I have never read much of them or posted in the lounge. However, this topic really gets to me due to one of my own experiences a few years ago. My wife owned a Gateway desktop that I decided to upgrade the HD on. I went out and purchased a WD 320GB EIDE to install into it. As soon as I installed it the problems reared their ugly heads. First I ran into a problem with the desktop recognizing the full capacity of the new HD. The problem was that the BIOS in that unit was older and did not have the capability to read the larger HD. I did not know a hek of a lot about anything back then and though I know a lot more now I learn something new every day. Another problem was that the recovery disc had been cracked in a move and I no longer had it to reinstall Widows XPsp2 on the computer. I did however have a Windows XP OEM disc but it did not have any service packs on it. I learned then that I needed an SP2 disc for it to work correctly. It turns out that XPsp2 has what ever it needs to utilize the larger HD; XPsp1 may have it but I am not certain about that one. I am sure somebody has a better way of doing what I did but what I did was make a 32GB NTF partition and installed XP. I used my key off of the Gateway and everything was fine. Microsoft validated it and all was well, or so I thought. Later I went and used Partition Commander to set up the HD the way I wanted it, next thing I know the box comes up and tells me that my hardware changed and my XP had to be re-certified so I did it. About that time is when I stated diving into the multi-boot thing and decided to use the Gateway to use as a guinea pig for my experiments. It turned into a nightmare; but I did learn. I started over and did the 32GB partition and installed Windows 2000 Pro on it; I then re-installed the XP and upgraded to SP2 as I had before and all went as planned. I was able to re-validate my key again and again, all was well. I now had my first multi-boot system and feeling somewhat large in certain areas of my anatomy and I do believe I even may have developed a somewhat of a pimpish strut as I walked around pleased with myself. Then it happened, we had a power surge where I lived and I do not know what happened but it screwed up my XP install. The darn thing worked fine with the W2Kpro but I was unable to fix XP. I did everything over from the start, hell I had my system down pat by now, yea right!!! When I went to re-validate XP this time I got the message that I had used up all of my allotted validates for my key but that I could get a new one by forking over $149+tax to MS. At first I got this sunken pit in my stomach, not about the thing with MS or even the freaking money (which I did not have at the time to spare for a new key) it was from what I knew was I you just leave it inevitable; that I like any other man with a woman was going to have to hear that speech that I had heard many times before through the years, “You think you’re so smart, why couldn’t you just leave it alone when you had it working!!!!?” I was frantic with fear, in a cold sweat while trying to keep her from finding out about my latest escapade to prove how great I was while I hopefully came up with a solution. I scoured the net and the P2P sites and came up with one; or shall I say, hypothetically came up with one. It was at this time that I hypothetically used this little program to validate my key on that box. I may have through the past several years used that program (which was written by one “FAR” smarter and greater than I will “EVER” be) to assist others in repairing their boxes with the key that was on the side of the box yet MS would not authorize the use of. Yet, if, as I say, I hypothetically did this, I “NEVER, EVER CHARGED a single unfortunate soul for the service of assisting them.
    I know this is realistically overboard in length and your all more than likely bored, cursing, laughing, or something; that is if you even made it this far or if this even gets posted by the Lounge. However, that admitted to and offering up my most humble apology, I have a question or two for the “HEADS”. Such as, why on some OEM off the shelf boxes does the key that is on the side or bottom of the box “NOT MATCH” the key that is on the box embedded in the install? Second, why can you “sometimes” use that key that is installed on the system to do a clean install and then re-validate and also, “sometimes”, use the key on the side or bottom of the box to do the same thing? I have my own theories on this subject but I am curious what others may care to offer up on the subject.
    God’s Speed to all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast