New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Firefox and love it. On occasion I am forced to use IE 8 (that is the version I have installed).

I opened up IE 8 today only to find my home page gone, replaced by an add for BING with a nice Christmas picture. Fine, but I could not find any "X" to close the page or CANCEL. It wanted me to set BING as my default search option. If I wanted BING I would SET BING.

I could not get to my home page so was forced to set a Blank, type in the URL I wanted and reset my home page. That was the only choice I could see on the screen and from the menu options. Clicking the HOME button did nothing.

Getting real tired of this sort of thing, not just from MS, but other companies as well.

Apparently we are all too stupid to make decisions on our own, so companies try to sneak into our lives with "dirty" tricks. Same thing when you have to read installation instructions carefully before installing software to make sure you are not adding a dozen Toolbars or other things you don't really want.

There is a difference between being helpful for a novice and forcing your junk upon others. I lost about 5 minutes resetting IE (not much in the scheme of things) but it was my 5 minutes. If I did not know much about a computer as many novices do not, I would have been forced into setting up BING.

Now I have lost several more minutes airing my complaint (at least this was by choice).

Thanks
    Hi Tarkus, Welcome to The Lounge.
    Open IE, set your home page, click dropdown box as in image, then select search provider, now save it, tools menu, internet options.

[attachment=91029:Untitled.jpg]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    I opened up IE 8 today only to find my home page gone, replaced by an add for BING with a nice Christmas picture. Fine, but I could not find any "X" to close the page or CANCEL. It wanted me to set BING as my default search option. If I wanted BING I would SET BING.
    I wonder whether IE got a major update? During normal updates, it usually retains your earlier search engine preferences. If you previously bypassed that screen (I know I skipped IE8's setup screens many times) perhaps it's no longer skippable? Anyway, it sounds as though you have it set the way you want now.