New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows 7 on a new Toshiba Laptop. Each time the automated Windows update runs I get an error message saying the download failed. The only way I have managed to update windows is to turn windows firewall off. Then it works flawlessly and then I turn it on again. I have gone to "Allow programs and features to pass through Windows Firewall" and there is no Windows Upload to add. Is there any way to have Windows Update work through the firewall?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Mark,

Something is fishy here. New windows setups automatically let windows update through the firewall. Someone/something has changed the settings to block this. I'd do a thorough scan for malware with a couple of scanners including Malwarebytes. One of the signs of malware is inability to update windows. Also make sure you don't have a second firewall program running as this can often cause conflicts that will kill internet traffic. I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact programs and services you should search for in the firewall rules to make sure windows update works.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi Mark, has Java, Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave Player been installed, if not, once done clear the cache.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Reply to Roderunner:

Java, Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave Player been installed cache cleared....no change

Reply to RetiredGeek:

Microsoft Security Essential and Malewarebytes both installed updated (with firewall off) and scanned computer with nothing coming back infected.

Additional information is that both Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385 and Firefox 3.6.13 are installed

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses

Thanks
    Hi Mark, is W7 pre installed on your new laptop, if so a re install might help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roadrunner

Idon't know if i am technically astute enough to carry out such an install.

Tell me, if I place the CD in the laptop and reboot it will it automatically boot from the CD. I f so is it just a matter of following the prompts or are there pitfalls to watch out for?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morris View Post
    Hi Roadrunner

Tell me, if I place the CD in the laptop and reboot it will it automatically boot from the CD. I f so is it just a matter of following the prompts or are there pitfalls to watch out for?
    Honestly, I wouldn't reinstall just because of this. If everything else is working normally I would rather replace the windows firewall with a free one. Personally I use Online Armor, but there are other options.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Mark,

If my memory serves Microsoft provides free support for Windows Update problems. Is this correct loungers?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morris View Post
    Hi Roadrunner
    Mark, if your w7 was already installed on your laptop it might have a recovery partition, if it has use it. If using a CD it will need to be set to boot from CD first, just follow the prompts.
    If on the other hand, if you want to change firewall, I recommend http://free.agnitum.com/ I use it on my laptop.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Rather than change anything, look in Event Viewer for firewall events. You should be able to see events associated with the blocking you are seeing - start Windows update and then check the logs. Post back if you need help interpreting the logs entries.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    @Mark,

Did a quick search over the Microsoft support forums. This Windows 7 firewall blocking MSE updates thread may be useful, as it describes in a post near the bottom how to add a rule to Windows firewall to allow Windows Update service to pass through the firewall. Doesn't seem to hard to try, so maybe have a look at it and see if it helps.

If you need help creating the rule, just post and detailed help will be provided.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    For the Windows firewall, if you have not already tried to restore default settings, go to;
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Firewall, select "restore defaults". (left side pane)
    If you have a competing app from Toshiba trying to access and download it's own updates you may want to disable it.

If that does not work you could try and add Windows Update to a list of allowed programs: navigate to;
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Firewall\Allowed Programs. Follow the picture view...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    You can get free Windows update support via email here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...direct=1&sd=gn

I have used it to get windows update working again after some nasty malware on friends computers and found them very responsive and helpful.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to you all for your suggestions. The simpliest turned out to be the answer. I restored Windows Firewall defaults and it found one security file to download.

This is a wonderful vehicle for those who have computer related questions.

Regards

Markm