Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had the auto archive feature functioning for many years, up to and including settings for individual folders to be to be archived daily. Note I said "had" because I just noticed it is not only not doing it any more, but the feature itself is completely gone. If I go to "Tools," then "Options" and click the "Other" tab, the "AutoArchive" option that USED TO be there is not, so there is no way of resetting the option. On a similar note, right clicking an individual folder, then properties, no longer reveals the "Archive" tab that USED TO be there because that is gone on all of the numerous folders (well over one hundred) as well for which I had individual settings for my folders.

What has happened to cause this, and most importantly how do I restore this feature that I very much need and used? I do not relish the idea of resetting all of those folder setting over again, but if someone can help me restore the archiving feature again I will sure be happy. PLEASE HELP. I'm going through all of the program helps, but they are not of much help at all because they are telling me how to use the Archiving feature itself but in my case I know how to use it but cannot do so because IT HAS LITERALLY DISAPPEARED.

I am running Outlook 2007 and running it on 64-bit Windows 7. It has worked fine up until very recently, but another strange fact is that it is gone from my wife's identical desktop as well, and disappeared apparently at the same time. In her case, she doesn't use that feature, but why would it disappear from both machines at the same time? Very strange. PLEASE HELP.

David E. Cann

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you uninstalled KB2412171? It's the most likely reason for your problem.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I'd say John hit it on the head. Per Susan Bradley's article in the 12/15 WSN I did not install this patch and I still have the option to AutoArchive in Outlook 2007.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBF View Post
    Have you uninstalled KB2412171? It's the most likely reason for your problem.

No, I have not, at least not knowingly. I've not uninstalled anything, that I know of, but do you know how I can resolve this problem?

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    No, I have not, at least not knowingly. I've not uninstalled anything, that I know of, but do you know how I can resolve this problem?
    Windows KB2412171 patch caused several types of issues on systems running Outlook 2007. You can remove it and see if it solves the problem with Auto-archive.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    I'd say John hit it on the head. Per Susan Bradley's article in the 12/15 WSN I did not install this patch and I still have the option to AutoArchive in Outlook 2007.

This is not much of an answer to my question, how to I restore the capability that is gone?

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    Windows KB2412171 patch caused several types of issues on systems running Outlook 2007. You can remove it and see if it solves the problem with Auto-archive.

Rui, I just removed KB2412171 and the Auto-Archive features appear to be back, or at least the missing tools for it are there. Haven't checked to see if it actually functions, but all of my old options and setting appear at first look to be there but I will check for actual functionality shortly. Now then, this brings to mind a couple of questions:

1. With KB2412171 now removed, and with Microsoft's future auto-updates likely (I assume) to soon discover KB2412171 gone and want to install it again, how do I prevent this from happening again. . . or DO I?

2. Can you tell me at least in a general sort of way what I am losing (other than a malfunctioning auto-archive feature) by now not having KB2412171 installed? I assume MS created and installed it for some purpose, but are you aware of what that purpose was?

Thank you for your help. I will now go remove KB2412171 from my wife's desktop as well. She doesn't use the archive feature anywhere near as much as I do (if at all), but I do still want it to return to proper functionality. Thank you again.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Rui, I just removed KB2412171 and the Auto-Archive features appear to be back, or at least the missing tools for it are there. Haven't checked to see if it actually functions, but all of my old options and setting appear at first look to be there but I will check for actual functionality shortly. Now then, this brings to mind a couple of questions:

1. With KB2412171 now removed, and with Microsoft's future auto-updates likely (I assume) to soon discover KB2412171 gone and want to install it again, how do I prevent this from happening again. . . or DO I?

2. Can you tell me at least in a general sort of way what I am losing (other than a malfunctioning auto-archive feature) by now not having KB2412171 installed? I assume MS created and installed it for some purpose, but are you aware of what that purpose was?

Thank you for your help. I will now go remove KB2412171 from my wife's desktop as well. She doesn't use the archive feature anywhere near as much as I do (if at all), but I do still want it to return to proper functionality. Thank you again.
    David,

That update was not a security update. Microsoft is not very clear on its purpose, other than stability and performance, but experience has shown it didn't really improve either stability or performance: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2412171

To avoid the automatic installation of that update in the future, right click it with your mouse and choose Hide Update from the menu.This will stop it being installed again without your explicit consent.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David,

That update was not a security update. Microsoft is not very clear on its purpose, other than stability and performance, but experience has shown it didn't really improve either stability or performance: http://support.micro....com/kb/2412171

To avoid the automatic installation of that update in the future, right click it with your mouse and choose Hide Update from the menu.This will stop it being installed again without your explicit consent.

I must admit to some curiousity relative to it's purpose before rejecting it in the future, but I will accept the fact that with it installed the software does not work properly and appears to function well without it. :-( I'm not aware of any means of rejecting any future installation of an update until it arrives though, so I was hoping someone could show me otherwise. I will try to watch for it's reinstallation in the future and "hide" it. Thank you again for your help, I do appreciate it.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    David,

To set up Windows Update to allow you to determine what to install.
    1. Click the Orb
    2. Type "Windows Update" into the search box
    3. Click on Windows Update at the top of the search list.
    4. Click on Change Settings in the left hand panel.
    5. Change settings as shown below then click OK.

Then only install updates after reading Susan Bradley's column in the WSN on Thursday after patch Tuesday!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    My settings are similar to the ones posted by RetiredGeek. I like to approve whatever Windows Update wants to install. In the current situation, you will then be able to hide the problematic update before you proceed to install any other updates.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My settings are similar to the ones posted by RetiredGeek. I like to approve whatever Windows Update wants to install. In the current situation, you will then be able to hide the problematic update before you proceed to install any other updates.

I had just done what you suggested and set it to approve/disapprove future updates when I read your suggestion to do just that, but thank you for the suggestion. Now on hindsight, armed with the knowledge that KB2412171 is "broken," I've got to think MS will remove it from future offerings at least until they can fix it and resend it with a new number and fix, but you never know with them.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    I had just done what you suggested and set it to approve/disapprove future updates when I read your suggestion to do just that, but thank you for the suggestion. Now on hindsight, armed with the knowledge that KB2412171 is "broken," I've got to think MS will remove it from future offerings at least until they can fix it and resend it with a new number and fix, but you never know with them.
    David,

Think you will be safer like that. I must say I don't know if the update will be removed, not sure what Microsoft does in similar situations. I never saw the update myself, as I am running Office 2010.

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David,

Think you will be safer like that. I must say I don't know if the update will be removed, not sure what Microsoft does in similar situations. I never saw the update myself, as I am running Office 2010.

Regards

Rui

So, are you saying it only hit Outlook 2007 then? My wife's desktop had the same problem, and is a virtual clone of mine (Outlook 2007 and running on 64-bit Windows 7).

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    So, are you saying it only hit Outlook 2007 then? My wife's desktop had the same problem, and is a virtual clone of mine (Outlook 2007 and running on 64-bit Windows 7).
    Yes, it only affected Outlook 2007. It's an update for Outlook 2007.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast