Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am installing a new main hard drive. I have many Word macros which I believe are in Word's normal dot file. In the past, when I have installed new hard drives, copying the normal dot file to the new drive did not copy the shortcut info. Example: I have a macro assigned to Ctrl+1 to activate a Word macro. What do I copy to my new hard drive so that when the new drive is installed, my shortcut keys still do what the shortcut keys do now?

In the past, I have also lost all my settings in Word and Excel. What do I backup or copy and restore to keep my settings the same on a new drive as the settings are now?

Thanks
    Word's settings are divided between templates and the registry. I thought that Word 2000-2003 stored keyboard shortcuts in templates (by default, then, in Normal.dot) but I haven't double-checked that.

Over the years, Microsoft has released variations on "save my settings" and "easy transfer" and "FAST" tools for different versions of Office and Windows. Maybe one of those will help? If you post your versions of Office and Windows, hopefully someone can point the way.

Edit: Chris Woodman's Shortcut Organizer is a utility dating from 2003 that you can use to consolidate keyboard shortcuts into one template. Thus, in theory, you could copy them all to a new template (e.g., savemystuff.dot) beforehand, and then copy them back to Normal.dot on the new setup. I haven't tried it myself.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Keyboard shortcuts are stored in the registry and (annoyingly) are one setting that doesn't transfer correctly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Chris Woodman's Shortcut Organizer is a utility dating from 2003 that you can use to consolidate keyboard shortcuts into one template. Thus, in theory, you could copy them all to a new template (e.g., savemystuff.dot) beforehand, and then copy them back to Normal.dot on the new setup. I haven't tried it myself.
    I've used Chris' Organizer and recommend it. It's easy to use and works quite well. It works in Word 2007 and undoubtedly will in 2010 when I get around to trying it.

Best, Kim

New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Keyboard Shortcut Organizer. But where?

Quote Originally Posted by kmurdock View Post
    I've used Chris' Organizer and recommend it. It's easy to use and works quite well. It works in Word 2007 and undoubtedly will in 2010 when I get around to trying it.

Best, Kim
    Sadly, Chris's Organizer is now impossible to find. That makes me suspect it must be *really* good and useful ;O) Is there some way you could share it with me and the several other people I've run into while searching who are dying to have it too?

TIA
    Les

Thanks
    Chris's shortcut organizer is very good and if I could find him to ask permission I would be happy to share it, but I can't find him on the web.

Keyboard shortcuts are NOT stored in the registry, at least not the custom ones. They are stored in templates.
    See Templates in Microsoft Word.

See Word 2007 and later key data locations.

If you are changing versions of Word write back.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    You can find archival links to Chris Woodman's tools on my downloads page under other downloads.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

PamCaswell (2014-04-21)