5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 4 yr old HP laptop whose wireless adapter has disappeared. Laptop froze solid, was unable to do anything, had to power off. Rebooted, all else is OK, but no wireless adapter shows up in Device Mgr. Right clicked on Network Adapters, clicked on Scan for Hardware Changes and found nothing. Wi-Fi switch on laptop is ON, but light is amber, not blue.
    Any ideas?
    Happy Holidays,
    HH

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Could be a dead adapter, or it could be a BIOS problem.
    Go into the BIOS and reset to factory defaults, then check that the wireless adaptor is enabled in the BIOS. Now fire up Windows and check device manager.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved. Brought my laptop back home, booted up this morning and there was my Wi-Fi! Maybe it needed an overnight nap instead of a hard reboot. Paul, thanks for your suggestion about the BIOS.
    HH

Thanks
    Very well could be a heat problem also.You might want to look into a laptop cooler.You can use your favorite search site,by typing in laptop cooler.This just might prevent futher damage & hair pulling in the future.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten