New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Lenovo X301 laptop running Vista Business 64-bit with built-in wireless WAN from ATT. Its network card is Intel WiFi Link 5300 with PAN and is described as being compliant with 802.11a/b/g and n(draft). I'm interested in getting some version of an Alfa AWUS036 wireless adapter and antenna, but can't figure out which version (AWUS036NH or AWUS036H) would be best for connecting to ATT on this laptop. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Bob

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You do not need to add an adaptor to the laptop. Any wireless router / hub will connect to your laptop, assuming everything is working correctly. All wireless units that conform to one of the 802.11 standards will connect with each other, although there is no guarantee that the connection will be great as the implementations do vary.

If you want an adaptor for wireless internet anywhere, that is a different kettle of fish.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    You do not need to add an adaptor to the laptop. Any wireless router / hub will connect to your laptop, assuming everything is working correctly. All wireless units that conform to one of the 802.11 standards will connect with each other, although there is no guarantee that the connection will be great as the implementations do vary.

If you want an adaptor for wireless internet anywhere, that is a different kettle of fish.

cheers, Paul
    Yes, I want wireless internet anywhere, as well as WWAN access to ATT, but the main thing I want is increased gain from an antenna, and I thought you needed an adapter/antenna combination to do that. Otherwise, where would you connect the antenna?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Wireless internet anywhere is done by adding a mobile / cell phone to your computer. The X301 has an optional WWAN adaptor, so it may already be installed. WWAN adaptors have the aerial built in to the screen surround and should provide better reception than a conventional phone.
    I don't know of any WWAN USB adaptors that have an external aerial, but a quick search should let you know of any.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Wireless internet anywhere is done by adding a mobile / cell phone to your computer. The X301 has an optional WWAN adaptor, so it may already be installed. WWAN adaptors have the aerial built in to the screen surround and should provide better reception than a conventional phone.
    I don't know of any WWAN USB adaptors that have an external aerial, but a quick search should let you know of any.

cheers, Paul
    Yes, I have the WWAN adapter that I'm using for ATT wireless broadband connection. The issue is that I want to boost reception. There is no external antenna connection. So the question is how to use an external antenna with this laptop. I've seen some wireless adapter/antenna combinations that use a USB connection and am wondering if that would work.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have the WWAN adapter that I'm using for ATT wireless broadband connection. The issue is that I want to boost reception. There is no external antenna connection. So the question is how to use an external antenna with this laptop. I've seen some wireless adapter/antenna combinations that use a USB connection and am wondering if that would work.
    All of them that I have seen are for WIFI, not WWAN. (there is a good possibility that there are some that I have not seen)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of these may do what you need. It would also have the added benefit of boosting your cell phone signal.

http://www.mycellularsolutions.com/w...FY4J2godF2IpoA

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    One of those may be the answer, but it's a lot of money for a maybe.

cheers, Paul