Thanks
    My daughter just went out and bought a 64-bit Dell laptop. It has Windows 7 64-bit on it, but not things like Office 2010...

If she has 32-bit software, will it run on that machine, or is she going to have to upgrade her software to get around incompatibilities?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Most 32 bit software should run just fine.
    Does she have a specific software application?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Most 32 bit software should run just fine.
    That's my experience too. Office 2010 32 bit, for example, runs fine. I think every 32 bit app I tried has been ok.
    Before Windows 7 I think the biggest issue with 64 bit computing was hardware drivers, but that changed with Windows 7. Your daughter should be fine.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Great. Thanks guys.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Hi Chuck,

While Office 2010 comes with both the 32 and 64 bit versions, MS recommends recommends retail users install the 32 bit edition instead of the 64 bit edition. In fact, the 32 bit version will install by default on your daughter's new computer. You can see further information in this MS TechNet article on Office 2010 64 bit.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I have yet to find a 32 Bit app that will not run on any of my 64 Bit PC's. I also have the 32 Bit version of Office 2010 without any problems. As a side note you may want to check the Office 2010 tutorials. They seem to be well written and have been a considerable help to me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck, hello.

FWIW, I run Office 2000 on both my 64 bit machines, an Acer desktop and a Toshiba Laptop. I do not really think that I am 10 years behind, it does all that I need. I have seen Office 2010 and it did not urge me to go and get it to replace that 32-bit app.

I also run a few oldies, one of them is Personal Finance 2K and it looks like a DOS app, I also run Acrobat 5 along with Paintshop Pro 6, now these are old.

Be good..............Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Chuck,

While Office 2010 comes with both the 32 and 64 bit versions, MS recommends recommends retail users install the 32 bit edition instead of the 64 bit edition. In fact, the 32 bit version will install by default on your daughter's new computer. You can see further information in this MS TechNet article on Office 2010 64 bit.
    Thanks Gerald. Things ought to go OK then.

Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    Chuck, hello.

FWIW, I run Office 2000 on both my 64 bit machines, an Acer desktop and a Toshiba Laptop. I do not really think that I am 10 years behind, it does all that I need. I have seen Office 2010 and it did not urge me to go and get it to replace that 32-bit app.

I also run a few oldies, one of them is Personal Finance 2K and it looks like a DOS app, I also run Acrobat 5 along with Paintshop Pro 6, now these are old.

Be good..............Jean.
    Thanks Jean. That's good news, 'cause I/she has a couple of oldies as well, so maybe it'll all be fine.

Regards,
    Chuck