Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Have just lost the paperclip icon from the message window (the one on the bottom half of the layout). It appears in the column in the top half, but I really need the other one. I use it to save and then open the attachments or to view ones I've sent.

The only thing I've done differently since it worked was run CCleaner to speed up my laptop. It runs Vista SP2. Is there a setting I can change to get it back? I've looked through and tried all the choices under "View".

Hopefully,

Linda

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Follow my attached photo view for bringing "Attachments" back to the messege column;

CCleaner will not effect attatchments in email messeges.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Clint,

You are here, too. Great! I understand your screen shots. I do have the paperclip column showing. What is missing is the paperclip icon in the upper right hand corner of the message itself which appears in the bottom window, When I used to right click it, a drop down menu would appear with "Open or Save Attachments".

Do you know how I can get this back? (glad to hear that CCleaner had nothing to do with any of this!)

Thanks,

Linda

Thanks
    If the email messege body doesn't contain an attatchment, like a photo or document, then you will not see the paperclip icon and there would be nothing to get back.

Is this what you are looking for, the letter icon?
    The attachment of an email within an email messege??
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Linda,

The confusion may be stemming from your use of Windows Mail and Clint's use of Windows Live Mail. Windows Mail was default for Vista, whereas Windows Live Mail is the recommended mail client for Win 7. Are you referring to the Paper Clip icons I have marked in my Windows Live Mail?

[attachment=91069:PaperClip.png]

The Paper Clip on the Tool Bar is a default location, whereas the Paper Clip on the Quick Access Bar is an optional location. This is the layout in Windows Live Mail. I do know that Windows Live Mail (a part of Windows Live Essentials) will work on Vista as well. I just reinstalled a Vista OS on a friends PC (I did not have another Win 7 license available, darn) and installed Windows Live Mail in place of Windows Mail. Perhaps this would help you as well.

Cheers Ted (It's definitely a 2 mug 'o' java morning)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the confusion is between Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail. Sorry I didn't make it clear that this laptop is on Vista SP2.

The icon that no longer appears is in a received message which indicates it has an attachment because the upper layout window shows a paperclip in the left column.

I keep thinking I've somehow changed the layout so the upper part of the message no longer appears, but can't figure out how to get it back.

Okay, just went back and played around some more. The problem is fixed! In Layout from the View drop down menu, the box "show preview pane header" was unchecked. I tried checking it and, like magic, the blue header with the From, To, Subject AND the paperclip appeared!

Although I feel pretty dumb, thought I'd post the solution in case any other Lounger gets stymied by so simple a thing!

As always, thank you both for your help. I haven't loaded email into our new Windows 7 PC yet, so am looking forward to checking out Windows Live Mail when I do.

Linda

Thanks
    I think you will find Windows Live Mail easy to use if you are accustomed to Windows Mail. You will find perhaps more features as MS has attempted to rival some of the various 3rd party email client apps. I especially like to be able to check all my email accounts from one mail client rather than having to go to various accounts and web oages, etc. Very convienient
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

9. 5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds as if it will be an improvement. Looking forward to checking it out!

Linda

10. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Linda
    I have been trying to sort out the same problem i.e - "missing is the paperclip icon in the upper right hand corner of the message itself which appears in the bottom window, When I used to right click it, a drop down menu would appear with "Open or Save Attachments"
    I have now got the answer (not solved as easily as yours with "show preview pane header") I had to select "show all messages in plain text" This has put the paper clip and drop down menu back on the preview header. This problem has been caused by MICROSOFT with their download of the upgraded version of Windows Mail. Rather careless of them, I think. I have wasted days trying to sort out the problem. Kathleen

11. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Kathleen,
    I believe I have the same problem. But, I can't find where I can select "show all messages in plain text"? Could you explain under which drop down menu I can find it? Thanks in advance. Cem
    Last edited by cemkocasoy; 2011-05-07 at 19:23. Reason: spelling

12. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Cem

Open windows mail, and under VIEW you will find a drop down menu where you can alternate between showing messages in plain text or HTML. Under HTML format you will not see the paperclip and it's drop down menu, but as soon as you select 'plain text' the paper clip appears. Hopefully Microsoft will attend to this problem and give us our Mail program in the same format as we had previously.
    Cheers
    Kathleen

13. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same problem in Windows Mail (not Live Mail), i.e. missing paper clip in Preview Pane (the one that's needed to actually save attachments), a problem that is definitely due to MS's download of a new version of Windows Mail (did some updates yesterday in order to install IE9).
    The 1st solution (Showing the Preview Header) makes no difference and did not solve the problem in my case.
    The second solution (alternate between HTML and Plain text, in the View menu) did not work exactly as suggested, as the "Show Messages in HTML", in the View menu, is grayed out. However, you can make it visible again by going into Tools, Options, Read, and then check Read all Messages in Plain Text. This made the paper clip visible again in the Preview Pane (even though the View menu still shows "Message in HTML"). [On a side note, note that in the View menu, "Show Messages in HTML" has now been replaced by "Message in HTML").
    And in case this still does not work for some users, here are two other (temporary) solutions to download attachments anyway.
    1. Forward the email to another email client (the attachment will be forwarded too).
    2. Go into View, Layout, and uncheck Show Preview Pane. Then select your message, click Open and in the new window that opens, you can then right-click on the attachment to save it on your computer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to richard in obihiro For This Useful Post:

Babs01 (2011-10-12)

15. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft have written to me re the 'paper clip' problem - here is their letter and my reply after having followed their instruction to uninstall Windows Internet Expl 9. I see that the instructions haven't appeared on my 'copy and paste' from his letter but it was simply to select "view installed updates" then select "Windows Int. Explorer 9" and click on"uninstall" This brings further problems both with e mails containing attachments and also mail without attachments (I forgot to mention the latter in my replyto Microsoft - will write to them again)
    Dear Chan

FURTHER ATTACHMENT PROBLEMS AFTER UNINSTALLING WIE 9

Thank you for your reply to my query re the "paper clip" problem.

I followed your instructions to uninstall W I Expl 9 - and notice that it has been replaced with WIE 8.

The paper clip issue is solved but the attachment now contains extra attachments wihich seem to be linked to the Internet and others also being extracts from the intended attachment. e.g. on the drop down menu from the paper clip there would normally be 2 options 1. to OPEN the att. and 2. to SAVE the att. but now the selection shows a number of attachments - one of them being the intended attachment and then others which include a GIF file, a windows photo file with an ADOBE logo, and then another which is just the logo of the actual letterhead from the att, but this opens up on the Internet!! What has Microsoft done to it's users? How can this MESS now be sorted out?

I am a very unhappy user and a further issue is that my computer is now running extremely slowly - this can't be a coincidence.

This is taking up a great deal of time and I am really tired of having to deal with these inconveniences caused by the Microsoft incompetence - why was the upgrade sent out with such obvious problems?

I await your reply and hope that you can assist in getting my computer running efficiently once more.
    Kind regards

Kathleen Fenn

- Hide quoted text -

On 11 May 2011 02:34, Chandrasekar Palani <v-2chanp@mssupport.microsoft.com> wrote:

Hello Kathleen,

My name is Chan and I am a Manager with Microsoft Office Chat Team.

This is in regards to your case number “1153790526” wherein the issue is with attachments icon being disabled in Windows Mail.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused as this issue started after installing Windows Internet Explorer 9 by Microsoft updates. We would like you to uninstall this update using the following method. Once you uninstall IE 9, the attachments should be enabled and you should be able to click them and open them without any issues.

Please also go through this following link for more information.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-68b599b31bf5

Please let us know if this has not fixed the issue.

Our primary goal is that our customers are Very Satisfied with the support services they receive from our Online Support Team. Please feel free to respond to this message with any concerns regarding the service you received.

Thanks for using Microsoft Product Support Services!

Best Regards,

Chan – Manager
    Outlook & Office Setup Team
    Microsoft Product Services
    Email: v-2chanp@mssupport.microsoft.com
    v-2chanp@hotmail.com

16. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problems after uninstalling WIE 9 now solved. Here is my second message to Microsoft
    Dear Chan

case number “1153790526 - PROBLEMS SOLVED

I am back again!

I have solved my problem - when IE9 was installed it was necessary to go to - TOOLS - on Windows Mail then - OPTIONS / READ and selecting to 'tick' the option 'Read all messages in plain text' in order to retrieve the 'paper clip'

I have now reverted to the original setting i.e. removing the 'tick' in the box, on that option and everything seems to have returned to normal.

Kind regards

Kathleen

17. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Cem

Sorry the correct method is to go to Windows Mail select TOOL, OPTIONS, READ, and to 'tick' on "Show all messages in plain text' Since then I have solved everything by uninstalling WIE 9 which automatically re-installs WIE 8 (and then 'unticked' that same selection, described above) - see my letters to Microsoft. Regards Kathleen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast