3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a laptop with both Vista and XP installed.

I usually only use XP - Vista's there as whenever I call the laptop support people they will only deal with issues if the original OS is installed.

I swap between the OS's by changing which partition is marked active rather than dual booting, as I so rarely go to Vista, and I was in a reverse order OS dual boot situation, which was a pain.

I recently had cause to have to switch into Vista, and took the opportunity to update that installation, with Offline Update. This was a much more traumatic process than it should have been, involving lots of hanging at 0% of step 3 of 3, revoking updates and reinstalling them, but it eventually seemed to work. I was still left with the problem that the computer completely hung whenever I tried to connect to the network, but that's not the point of this thread.

Problem is, when I set my XP partition to be active, it won't boot. I get a blank screen with flashing cursor, or, if I go for safe mode, it hangs halfway through (with the last line showing crcdisk.sys - although I know this doesn't have much to do with anything). I don't, unfortunately, have the recovery console installed, neither do I have a bootable winxp installation disk. I've put the drive into an external USB enclosure, and looked through the system32/drivers folder, but there are no suspicious 0kb files there. I've tried to see if I can run sfc when it's in the external enclosure, but can't seem to find a way to do that (I should say that the host computer I'm attaching it to is a win7 unit). I've run a full malware scan on the vista and xp partitions, and they're clean. I've run chkdsk on the xp partition and no faults are reported. My BIOS is very limited, so I can't change any settings in there (with regard to power management or SATA mode).

I don't think it's an MBR problem as safe mode does get halfway through, and I don't think it's a major hardware issue, as I can still boot into Vista if I set that partition to be active, although I'm not certain about that.

I really need this as an XP machine, so any suggestions as to how I can fix my xp install would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Thanks
    I usually only use XP - Vista's there as whenever I call the laptop support people they will only deal with issues if the original OS is installed.
    That's probably the worst reason imaginable for keeping an operating system installed that you have no use for. Not to mention the added complexity
    of maintaining a dual boot system.
    Consider a full and separate image of both Vista and XP with only one running at any one time, as opposed to a dual boot environment.
    If your needing tech support then you could reimage Vista for that purpose, then put the image of XP back when the issue with tech support is resolved.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ironically, one of the reasons for bothering to update the Vista partition was to then image it and reclaim that partition, although one of the problems is that, thanks to the absurd size of winsxs, the image ends up being enormous.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me with my current predicament.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why updating Vista on one partition should impact XP on another partition, and, more importantly, any suggestions as to how I can get my XP installation working again without a reinstallation (lots of progs installed, including many unrecoverables, such as GOTD giveaways).

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
    Ironically, one of the reasons for bothering to update the Vista partition was to then image it and reclaim that partition, although one of the problems is that, thanks to the absurd size of winsxs, the image ends up being enormous.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me with my current predicament.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why updating Vista on one partition should impact XP on another partition, and, more importantly, any suggestions as to how I can get my XP installation working again without a reinstallation (lots of progs installed, including many unrecoverables, such as GOTD giveaways).

Thanks
    Have you tried a repair of the XP installation? In your case, this will require you boot from the XP setup disk: this article How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install tells you how and also to slipstream XP if you need that.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Check in both msconfig and Vista's advanced settings (startup and recovery) to see if the XP installation is still showing as a boot option.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have a dual boot setup, as I mentioned I just change which partition is active via the LogicalDiskManagement screen of the computer management snap in, so how is checking that XP is an option in Vista startup going to help?

I was afraid I might have to do a repair install, as I don't have a bootable installation disc, as I long ago copied my installation files onto a separate partition on my HD, but, try as I might, I can't find a boot environment which will allow me to run winnt32 from that folder, and I think I only slipstreamed SP2 into those files, whereas my XP installation has now been upgraded to SP3. My laptop doesn't have a CD drive, but I'm sure I'd find someone to burn one for me once I've created the ISO. There are tutorials around, so I might have to look for that.

Would be so much easier if there was a way to run sfc on a remote target partition.

Thanks
    Good o'l reliable How to Geek;How to Geek
    This site has many options of help.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to close this thread.

Did try a repair install, but just as everything was going well, I found my product key wasn't recognised. Apparently you can't slipstream volume licenced editions of XP in any later OS - Thanks Microsoft. I restored the broken image, then tried my XPSP2 disc, but it didn't recognise my XP install to repair. I then found an old HD to do a temporary XP install purely for the purposes of slipstreaming SP3, but the resultant disc didn't recognise my XP install to repair either.

At my wits end, I set the Vista partition active, planning to wipe and start again, and, bizarrely, XP booted successfully.

Given that all the threads I found about hanging at crcdisk.sys were from Vista owners, I'm wondering if it was actually Vista that was hanging, even though the XP partition was set to active (and yes, I have checked that I hadn't got them confused), and that it's actually an MBR/MFT problem. So am going to end up having to wipe the disc and reaquaint myself with the inner workings of MBR and boot sectors. Joy.

Thanks for your input.