Thread: Startup Items

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In checking, I have noticed that I have a considerable number of items loaded at startup. I have disabled all that I know of, but am afraid to delete others. Is their a list of items that I can disable at startup? It seems that all programs want to place themselves in startup. What happened to the good old days of Window 3.0 when we got to choose what would and would not run?

Thanks
    There will be no specific list as the software envirnments of computers differs widely.
    Post your startup list and we may be able to advise your further.

You may be able to choose what is starting up by going directly to the specific program's applications properties and configuring them from there.
    If that does not work, or if a specific application does not offer such options, then Window's own "msconfig" will usually do the job.

Another method of checking would be Sysinternal Autoruns, but the prefered method of reigning in these start up issues would be proper configuration of the specific application from within it's own properties options.

If you are unsure of a specific start up item in the list try googling the name for more specific information.
    That is usually the gold standard with regard to querying seemingly weird startup names.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Unfortunately, any time you install an app, the app believes it is so important it MUST start with Windows. BS. I have only 4 apps starting at Windows start up. My MSE AV/AM app, My laptop Touchpad app, an app that helps me control the Windows firewall more easily and an app that allows me to send texts from my PC through my Blackberry phone via bluetooth. That's it. I used to only have the first 2. You DO NOT need to have Adobe or MS Office or Java updater or any number of other items running in the background, I have found that elliminating all the junk starting with Windows speeds up my PC much more than the extra time it takes opening apps when I really need them to run. In other words the time gained is far more than the time lost.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    A good place to check your startup entries is http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php Each entry comes with one of the following recommendations:

Y" - Normally leave to run at start-up
    "N" - Not required or not recommended - typically infrequently used tasks that can be started manually if necessary
    "U" - User's choice - depends whether a user deems it necessary
    "X" - Definitely not required - typically viruses, spyware, adware and "resource hogs"
    "?" - Unknown

If you don't find your startup entry there, try a Goggle or bing search. A lot of items will not affect performance measurably but a few will. many will periodically check for updates so if you disable them, you will have to remember to do it yourself.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the link in Post #4 is not working, try this ....
    Startup Applications List

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys.

Mike Parker

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Witalka View Post
    A good place to check your startup entries is http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php. Each entry comes with one of the following recommendations:
    Jerry,
    Hello... Could you please check your link, as it does not work for me. Thanks Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Jerry,
    Hello... Could you please check your link, as it does not work for me. Thanks Regards Fred
    I changed the link. I removed the period at the end of the sentence. Should work OK now.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Yes, I added a period without a space after the URL by mistake. Sorry about that.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also visit this site for advice on what needs to run and how to disable the ones you want to stop.
    http://www.blackviper.com/