Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a new Dell XPS laptop, i5, 8Gb RAM, etc. When it was first arrived, it booted quite quickly (less than a minute). Of course in the usual process with a new computer, you add your hardware and applications to it. The last time I booted it it took 10 whole minutes to boot. However, I took it with me somewhere, fully expecting a 10 min boot time, and it again booted in less t han a minute. Taking it back to my desk, it was slow again.

The difference is at my desk I have a USB 3.0 hub attached. This hub has three things attached to it...my printer (no problems there that I can detect) and two external hard drives. One of them is quite new since I just bought it. The other is older. Both are WD MyBooks. I know the machine has booted quickly with the older drive attached. I can't find any driver problems with the newer drive looking in the Device Manager. But I very clearly get different boot times when the hub (and these three devices) are connected vs when they are not connected. I rarely have to boot he computer so this isn't a huge deal...but it bugs me because it's not right.

I guess my next step is to boot with each of these devices alone to see if I can recreate the problem that way, and then focus in on what might be wrong with the troublesome device. Beyond that, any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cornwall View Post
    I guess my next step is to boot with each of these devices alone to see if I can recreate the problem that way, and then focus in on what might be wrong with the troublesome device. Beyond that, any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    I think that should enable you to identify the cause for the slow boot. Looks pretty much the cause must be there - the hub and / or the disks attached to it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Even 1 minute seems a little slow to me. I woild check what apps are starting with Windows and perhaps paring those you don't really need running in the background. I would suspect that perhaps something on the older Ext HD is attempting to start, or perhaps the drivers for it are out of date. You might check with WD on that. I had a heck of a time with a WD ext HD and finally replaced it with a Seagate. No problems since.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I guess my next step is to boot with each of these devices alone to see if I can recreate the problem that way, and then focus in on what might be wrong with the troublesome device.
    That would be a good start.
    Boot into your BIOS and see if you can't tweak it to ignore looking at your hub upon evey boot up.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe it's indexing those external disks?