New Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently purchased a new HP C410a printer with ePrint capabilities. The printer is network capable with both wired ethernet and wireless connections. The printer is configured to use the wireless connection due to its current location. Initially, everything seemed to be working well. Configuration over the wireless network was done with no problem.

Shortly after we began using the printer our network connection to the internet started going in and out. Soon we had lost internet connectivity completely. Reset on the router/modem (SMC cable modem/router) did not fix the problem. A trouble call was placed to our ISP (Hargray in SC) and they sent out a tech. The first question he asked was "did you get a new HP printer recently?" To which I responded "yes." Well, their router had a firmware conflict with the HP wireless radio. Sure enough if the printer was off, the network was fine. The tech replaced the SMC with a Linksys and we were up and running.

The printer drivers had been installed on my ASUS laptop (Vista) and it was working fine. My wife's Sony laptop (XP sp3) still needed the printer installed. That installation went well and printer test page was produced; however, after the Sony was rebooted it could not find the network. In fact, the network did not even show up in the list of available wireless networks (condo with several networks broadcasting). My son (IT tech for GD) and I both worked on the Sony to no avail. The next day after being off all night, the Sony was powered up and magically it connected to the network without any other troubleshooting. All is well for 3 days and suddenly for no apparent reason the Sony once again cannot find the network. It shows only one network available out of five that can be seen on the ASUS. The network in our condo is not shown at all. All the while the ASUS is working fine.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Wally

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    First, the obvious question (I guess) - does that happen regardless of the printer being on or off?

Now a couple more questions:

- does the wireless router get shutdown at any time? maybe between the sony being turned off and on?
    - the only time a laptop of mine didn't detect a wireless network, it turned out to be the router using a wireless radio channel that the wireless adapter on the laptop could not listen to. Have you checked if that can be happening with your setup?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have done some more troubleshooting with interesting results. While checking the "network connections" I had checked the properties of the wireless connection (which is up to number 8) and I then clicked on the wireless connection icon again and amazingly it connected. This time finding our network which it didn't even see before. In fact now the list of available networks doesn't include the network that showed up when it would not connect. I thought, OK, now let's reboot and see if this holds. Reboot and now no connection and the network in the condo is no longer on the list. This is crazy!

I uninstalled the network adapter (Buffalo N) and then reinstalled, reboot and again I have a connection. Will it work after the computer reboots again? I don't know. Anyone got any idea what is happening?
    Wally

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui,

Thanks for the reply and yes I tried it with the printer off as well. No change. The router is transmitting on channel 6 and doesn't change. This computer and wireless adapter have been working on this network for months. It is a different router but Linksys is pretty standard. We just rebooted the Sony and it is still accessing the network. I am just puzzled as to what is changing and why it sees different networks at different times.
    Wally

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Wally,

It's weird, indeed. It seems the XP computer just add one change, which was the addition of the printer driver and the fact that it started connecting to the Linksys router. Just to try to find the origin of this, I would remove the printer driver and then see how the laptop behaves. A few reboots should be enough.

If it's not the printer driver (and likely it's not), then the issue is likely to be related to the wireless adapter connecting to the new router. I would recommend checking if you have the latest drivers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Could be a flaky network card in the Sony. If you have a spare hard disk I would re-install the OEM Windows and see what happens from scratch. Might also be worth resetting the BIOS to factory default and checking the wireless card is enabled.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Could be a flaky network card in the Sony. If you have a spare hard disk I would re-install the OEM Windows and see what happens from scratch. Might also be worth resetting the BIOS to factory default and checking the wireless card is enabled.

cheers, Paul
    I got the impression that the the wireless card is an add on.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the wireless adapter is a Buffalo usb type. It is working fine and I uninstalled and reinstalled it. If it continues to be a problem, I will try removing the printer drivers and see if that affects it. Thanks for the comments gents.
    Wally