New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings, I'm unable to view *.png image files sent to me in emails.
    Upon checking this out at Microsoft's Technet, the advice was to check the file associations in
    Control Panel/Default Programs/Set Associations.
    The problem is, when I went there, in the file extensions list there was no entry for a png file;
    and therefore northing I could associate it with.
    So I guess my questions are: how do I get an additional file extension into the extensions list; and
    what program do I associate it with so that I can view the pictures not only in my Outlook email
    program but other programs as well - currently these are set to Picasa Photo Viewer, which is OK for me.
    A quite seperate issue is that my extensions list now contains multiples of the extension *.rar: rar1, rar2, rar3
    up to rar 41 - how can I diminish this number, which is just plain dopey? Cheers

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi, Vernon, and welcome!

Interesting questions. Regarding the missing .png listing in Set Associations, this web page may help with your problem. You may want to wait a bit for other more learned Loungers to comment in case I am misunderstanding the nature of the problem. Although I don't use Picasa Photo Viewer, it should open a .png file as per their web site. I use the freeware Faststone Image Viewer. I sent myself an e-mail with a .png file attached, and FSIV opened it. Good luck with this and your .rar issue.

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the .png files I would first go into Picasa and under Tools>Options..>File Types, check to see if you have .PNG as one of the file types you are allowing Picasa to display. Second I would find or download or otherwise convert a file to .png format, and use that file to choose the default program to use (associate it) for .png files, in this case, Picasa.
    Now I don't know if that association will carry through to Outlook but if you save the .png files out of Outlook to a regular folder, it will work there.
    I also use Faststone Image viewer as my allaround do anything program but Picasa is an excellent 2nd for all local (on one computer) content.

As far as the rar....#s go, do what I do...ignore your extensions list completely! Otherwise I think something like CCleaner can remove all unused extensions, but if you have WinRAR or any rar-ing program still installed...ignorance is bliss

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, John & Byron. , I did as you suggested, and *.png is now in my list of extensions & associated with Picasa. (That's a very useful site by the way - it's a question of knowing where to look, and that site wasn't very high up on the Google search pages, for some reason).

png was on my list of extensions in Picasa, but was not ticked, probably because no association had been set in Windows 7. Anyway, the solution worked, and I'm suitably grateful. Happy New Year to all. Vernon

Thanks
    What has baffled me is that Windows 7 already has an application installed called Windows Photo Viewer that displays .ico and .png files but somehow on some people's Windows 7 computers, this program does not by default propagate thumbnails for these file formats. That's perplexing to me. On my system, this application default was automatic from the moment Windows was installed but in other people's computers, I have often had to direct a file to "open with..." Very aggravating.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wanted to thank you for your solution (to visit the 7 forums download for file re-association). Some weeks back, Skitch was released for Windows. It had such great reviews, I thought I would try it out. I decided I didn't like it at all, (prefer SnagIt) and quickly uninstalled it. Somehow it took my file association and recognized file type .png with it. Adding that here as a warning in case anyone else ever encounters this issue. The download fixed it. Thanks much.