Thread: Bloating mail

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The following happened to my wife (really!) twice. After some corresponding with someone with a Hotmail-account, a mail from Outlook 2010 to the friend could not be openend by her. After some research I found out that in both cases messages were bloated to 1 - 2 MB. Such a large message is not displayed correctly in Hotmail. The content of the message was not more than a few lines of text. I couldn't find the reason for the huge size of the messages.

I vaguely remember there was a similar problem in the -version of Outlook 2010. Something with CSS and lists. There were no lists in the messages and I don't know how to check for invisible CSS-junk.

Does anybody recognize this problem? Is there a solution, other than watching the size of messages?

Han

Thanks
    I assume it is an HTML format message with a pasted-in image, or using stationery with a background image. Otherwise, it's difficult to imagine how a couple of sentences could balloon to over a megabyte.

For best results, never paste into an Outlook message, but instead use Insert > Picture.

If the problem is the stationery, try sending using blank stationery or plain text format.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it's definitely HTML, but I see "nothing" in the message. No image, no background, just plain text.

Could be that the original Hotmail-message did contain something, but it's not visible in the messages I read (after a couple of reply/forward-cycles, bouncing back between Hotmail and our Outlook). I can't find the original message, pity.

Han

P.S. Outlook takes several seconds before showing one of the bloated messages. There really must be something huge hidden in those messages, but all I see is a couple of innocent looking text-lines.