New Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook 2010 (64-bit) is my default mail-client (File > Options> General > bottom line; translated from Dutch, actual path could be slightly different in English). However, other programs complain there is no default mail-client selected. Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 refuses to send photos through Outlook because Outlook is not the default mail-client. Other programs complain as well and also refuse to start Outlook.

This must be a well-known problem, probably related to the 64-bit version of Outlook 2010. Is someone working on a solution?

Han

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Have you seen if it is set as the default client (and the application associated with the MailTo protocol) in Control Panel -> Default Programs?

Also, hope you don't mind me asking, is there a reason for you to be using the 64 bit Office version instead of the 32 bit?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui,

Yes, checked it and can't find anything wrong there.

• MailTo-protocol is associated with Microsoft Outlook.
    • For Microsoft Outlook, Win7 states: This program has all its defaults.
    • I even dug into Set program access and computer defaults and under Choose a default e-mail program I changed Use my current e-mail program to Microsoft Outlook.

Programs such as Photoshop refuse to send anything to Outlook and specifically ask to open Outlook and set it as default client. I think I read a couple of months ago that it definitely has something to do with the 64-bit version of Outlook. I assumed a patch would solve this problem. Two months later I'm still hoping...

About using 64-bit (don't mind you asking, but am not in the mood for deeper thoughts on this subject): I had no reason to stick to 32-bit. No special 32-bit add-ons or so.

Han

Administrator
    Thanks
    [s]Han,

Seems that the issue is, indeed, related to using the 64 bit version of Outlook: Check this thread in MS support forums.
    You will see that some explanations are provided for what you are experiencing and the recommendation seems clear: use only the 64 bit version of Office if you absolutely must. If this is a big problem for you, I would suggest you uninstall Office 2010 x64 and install the 32 bit version instead. My previous experience with removing the 64 bit beta and adding the 32 bit release version suggest that you won't lose anything (configured email accounts, etc) and everything will just work after you complete the 32 bit install. A backup is always recommended, anyway, before doing something like this.

I am sorry this is the solution. I also ran a 64 bit beta of Office 2010, but given the "vehemence" of Microsoft's recommendation regarding the 32 vs 64 bit versions, I installed the 32 bit version once the release version was out.[/s]

Sorry, seems there is a solution. See my next post.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hmmm.. after posting that, I found another one that seems to have a solution: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...?prof=required

The solution seems to involve changes to the registry:

Run REGEDIT and goto:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail]

Right-click and create a new key called Outlook64Bridge

Then right-click Outlook64Bridge and create two keys under it DLLPath and DLLPathEx

Find the 32 bit version of the file MAPI32.dll and assign the whole qualified pathname to each key, mine were:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook64 Bridge\DLLPath

"D:\WINDOWS\system32\mapi32.dll"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook64 Bridge\DLLPathEx

"D:\WINDOWS\system32\mapi32.dll"

Then go back to the root key name and show the default client as Outlook64Bridge

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

"Outlook64Bridge"

Better backup or set a restore point before doing this. Seems not too complex and it seems to work.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pity, doesn't work for me, although other people were succesfull.

Didn't use the quotes. Experimented a bit.

Did try C:\\ in the path instead of C:\, although Win7 doesn't mind if I recall correctly.

Added Outlook64Bridge as default to the Outlook64Bridge-key.

First tried the path to mapi32.dll in the System32-folder. Then used C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-mapi_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_ab239772 7b134496\mapi32.dll.

Nothing worked, I keep getting the message that's stored in the Mail-key under PreFirstRun.

Han

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you set Outlook64Bridge as the value for the Default key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail ?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui,

Happy New Year and yes, I followed the instructions. Double-checked and then started experimenting as described...

Han

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Han,

I really thought this would work as it seems to work for many people with the same problem you are facing.

Happy New Year.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    This issue is reported to have been solved by Office 2010 SP1.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Um, no.

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    This issue is reported to have been solved by Office 2010 SP1.
    I got SP1, and still have this problem