Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Received this yesterday, does anyone have it now? Can I really recover an image to a different computer with it?
    Looks like a good deal, any thoughts?

For a very special price of $14.99, Acronis True Image Home 2011 Plus Pack provides you with flexibility to restorefiles, applications and an operating system to different hardware and includes full support for dynamic disks.

Go for a 50% discount on Acronis True Image Home 2011 Plus Pack

Thanks to its intuitive graphical interface, it is many times faster and easier to move all the files, documents and applications you want from an old PC to a new one eliminating risks of losing some of your important data due to any disaster. This module is integrated seamlessly with award-winning Acronis True Image Home 2011 standard version and supports Microsoft® Windows Preinstallation Environments (WinPE).
    * Restore to Dissimilar Hardware
    Restore a computer to dissimilar hardware regardless of make, model, or installed components, or to a virtual machine.
    * Dynamic Disk Support
    Back up and restore dynamic volumes easily, taking advantage of dynamic disk capabilities including multi-partition and fault tolerant volumes as well as partition size adjustment.
    * Microsoft® Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) Support
    Speed up your recovery process with easy and quick integration of the latest Microsoft drivers, customized scripts, applications and plug-ins to your rescue or boot media.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To use that Plus Pack, you also need to buy/have bought the Acronis® True Image™ Home 2011.
    Quote from the Acronis web site..
    " Acronis True Image Plus Pack works with the Acronis® True Image™ Home 2011 standard edition, but not with the Acronis True Image Netbook Edition or previous editions of Acronis True Image Home."

Thanks
    I was able to restore an image to an entirely new machine using Acronis True Image Home 2011 with the Plus Pack. I'm not sure how this would work for a virtual machine, although it does appear it did not for Rui. The Plus Pack is not needed if for example you are replacing a failing HD in your PC, only putting the Image on an entirely new machine. The other factor to consider is that you would then have to install all the correct device drivers on the new machine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    My apologies for a simple question turning into a "bashing".
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I was able to restore an image to an entirely new machine using Acronis True Image Home 2011 with the Plus Pack.
    Hi Ted,
    I have never tried but am curious (as RussB has asked a great question) ...Let me ask you a hypothetical question ...say..
    1. I build a new PC. Motherboard, Hard drives, New CPU, power supply , ...the works.
    2. Now lets say i want to load up my old OS ( windows 7 \ 64 ) to the new PC that has never had power applied to it. (has no OS )
    3. How do you proceed ? ..Do you place your old HD into the new PC, Or place your Data drive into it ? ( that contain your images) Or maybe connect a flash drive with an Image ?
    4. Is the "Plus Pack" now run from the boot disk, or run from the old HD that you placed into the new PC?
    5. What about "chip set drivers" for the new CPU\ Motherboard combo?

Never had a clear explanation .. but think that this is an important question to "kick around" as many of us "loungers" are using Acronis. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Hi Ted,
    I have never tried but am curious ...Let me ask you a hypothetical question ...say..
    1. I build a new PC. Motherboard, Hard drives, New CPU, power supply , ...the works.
    2. Now lets say i want to load up my old OS ( windows 7 \ 64 ) to the new PC that has never had power applied to it. (has no OS )
    3. How do you proceed ? ..Do you place your old HD into the new PC, Or place your Data drive into it ? ( that contain your images) Or maybe connect a flash drive with an Image ?
    4. Is the "Plus Pack" now run from the boot disk, or run from the old HD that you placed into the new PC?
    5. What about "chip set drivers" for the new CPU\ Motherboard combo?

Never had a clear explanation .. but think that this is an important question to "kick around" as many of us "loungers" are using Acronis. Regards Fred
    Hi Fred,

I did this once with Acronis True Image 11. There was a technical issue that took away the CPU and mobo. So, I got myself a new box. Plugged in the USB disk where I had the latest image and booted up with the Acronis boot disk and restored the my latest image to the new disk. Then I let the OS boot (was XP back then). XP booted normally and after booting said it had found new hardware and installed drivers. Asked me to reboot, I let it reboot, and it all came up, no issues at all.
    As I said, this was with XP and Acronis True Image 11, for which there was no Plus Pack. I haven't had the need to do with after that. So this capability was there, in the base product, all along. Was it removed to sell the Plus Pack? I don't know and I hope not, but to be honest I hope I don't ever need to actually check it.

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I did similarly to Rui. I had a new PC (old PC overheated - laptop) I came with a pre loaded Win 7 HP. Since my version was Win 7 Ultimate, and heavily customized, I wanted this back. I stuck in my Acronis Rescue media, conected my USB Ext HD, booted to the Acronis app and restored the new PC from the Image of the old PC. I realize this is not exactly a fresh HD since it did have an OEM version (although different from what I wanted) but I successfully restored my Image from my old PC. I do have Plus Pack, but since this integrates into Acronis, it does not specifically state the Plus Pack is installing the Image to the new PC. I had to then ensure drivers for the new PC were updated so things worked properly, but that's it. I hope this helps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Rui, Ted and the bunch. a Happy 2011 to all.

Re: Acronis. I do not have the Plus pack and I do all that I need with v.11, at times, I use v.2010, I see no need for v.2011 and the Plus doohickey.

But this is me ! Jean.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, Ted,
    Hello and thanks for the responses. This is where it gets confusing... Ti says that you can install to new and different hardware using "Plus Pack"But in browsing their forum you get mixed messages.. So far as i understand "Plus Pack" deals directly with something called "The HAL Layer" ( Hardware Abstraction Layer) see thishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_abstraction_layer Which allows the installation of an OS to a completly different PC.(one that has no "OS" on it) But they do not explain the procedure of exactly how this is done (nuts and bolts) Or, i have not found an explanation that answers this directly. If in "Rui's" words installing to a "New Box" means no OS or not? So the question is still.... If you install your old OS, to a new PC (no OS cause you just built it ) and are not using a Windows install disk.... How exactly would you proceed ? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

Yes, on my case it was an install to a new PC, custom built, with no OS. No Windows disk either. Just the Acronis boot disk and, once in the Acronis interface, the restore of the latest image, just as I described.

Regards

Rui

P.S.: Edited to add that, just as Ted described, there is no difference in restoring to a new PC or restoring an existing image to a new disk, if your "old" disk failed. Supposedly, with 2010 and 2011 the plus pack enables this. With Acronis 11, no pack was needed, but the overall procedure would be the same, with or without the plus pack. So, the restore doesn't require an OS in the destination disk.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    Hello, Rui, Ted and the bunch. a Happy 2011 to all.

Re: Acronis. I do not have the Plus pack and I do all that I need with v.11, at times, I use v.2010, I see no need for v.2011 and the Plus doohickey.

But this is me ! Jean.
    Jean, I still use 2010 too. I did buy the Plus Pack for that one, as I wanted to boot my XP image (done before a custom migration to 7 x64) into a virtual machine. The restore to the virtual machine never worked and I tried several times, with different VM managers (Virtual Box, VMWare, Virtual PC).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    The Plus Pack integrates into Acronis 2010 and 2011 in such a way that I believe you do not notice anything when you are installing to a new, empty HD on a new PC. It just works. You boot to the Acronis Rescue Media, then point to the Image and restore as you would. The Plus Pack just adds internal s/w to allow the restore on empty new stuff.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, hello.

>>> OS or not? So the question is still.... If you install your old OS, to a new PC (no OS cause you just built it ) and are not using a Windows install disk.... How exactly would you proceed ? Regards Fred

This is why I only do clones ! It worked for me a few times, thanks to ACRONIS. A clone is an image, a twin, a mirror ! Complete with OS, MBR and all. Sheesh !

Have a Happy in spite of me.............Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    Fred, hello.

This is why I only do clones ! It worked for me a few times, thanks to ACRONIS. A clone is an image, a twin, a mirror ! Complete with OS, MBR and all. Sheesh !

Have a Happy in spite of me.............Jean.
    Well, Jean, an image is an ... image. I only use images, no clones. When you create an image of a disk, everything is included. The difference is that an image is contained in a file, in a compressed format, instead of actually replicating the original disk at another location. When you restore an image, you get a clone of the original disk as it was when the image was created. You can keep multiple image files in a given partition of your disk, while you can keep a single clone in a partition. Images make better use of your backup disk space, IMO.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I was going to say almost exactly what Rui so aptly stated. Clones are not compressed and take up the same space as the original HD. I was unaware you could only keep one clone in a particular partition. Is this also true of an Ext HD? Images are indeed compressed into a single file and can bestored in the same space as other images as long as more space is available. I have over a dozen images on my Ext HD and can choose which to restore to.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast