Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Everyone always has good ideas so I am hoping someone recognizes this problem.

I have my computer set up with an Admin account and a User account. Normally, if I installed software through my user account, I would be prompted with the UAC dialog box and asked for my Admin password. I don't mind as I understand it is better for safe computing.

About a month ago, after entering the UAC Admin password, it just hung. No big deal, I logged into the Admin account and installed it there. But after a few more of those situations, I realize that I have a bigger problem in that the User Account seems to be corrupted or disabled or something as it freezes WHENEVER the UAC Admin password is requested.

I don't want to try to use the system restore feature as I have installed/un-installed too many things and it may not have enough history to get me back to that stage.

I have tried to search here and on the Internet and have not found any similar situations.

My last resort is to delete the User account and create a new one, but I was hoping someone would have a fix before I resorted to that drastic measure.

Anybody have an ideas?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to canerican For This Useful Post:

ΛMłЯФ (2012-06-05)

3. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4. Administrator
    Thanks
    What happens if you change the standard user to an administrator?

Joe

Thanks
    I would run sfc /scannow
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

6. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas.

If I change the User Account to have Administrator privileges, then the software installs proceed as normal (after the UAC prompt without a password). However, if I change it back to a User account, then the problem returns.

I ran the SFC /SCANNOW and it came back with "no integrity errors".

One other point I forgot to mention earlier. As stated above, the install application freezes when working in the User account and using the UAC Admin password to install software. Also, the Windows button (Start button) freezes in the "up" state when you right click an application and "run as Administrator" (e.g, when trying to run the CMD.exe application to run the SFC /SCANNOW command). Another example is when you run Task Manager in the User Account and want to "show all applications for all users", it needs the UAC Admin password and then freezes. The only way to recover is to reboot the computer. When you do this, there is a dialog box displayed for a few seconds (and only a few seconds) which says:
    "Too many other files are currently in use by 16-bit programs. Exit one or more 16-bit programs, or increase the value of the FILES command in you Config.sys file."
    I am not running any 16-bit programs that I am aware of. Is there any way to find out if there are any?

7. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another example ... I tried to create a System Restore Disk and it needed UAC. I cancelled it ... but it still froze the "Backup and Restore Control Panel" window.

8. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another update - tried to use another User account and had the same problems.

9. Administrator
    Thanks
    If this behavior is something that just started occurring, have you tried a system restore to a date when you think all was OK?

Have you run full malware scans?

Is Windows 7 up-to-date with patches?

Have you added any hardware or software recently?

Joe

10. New Lounger
    Thanks
    If this behavior is something that just started occurring, have you tried a system restore to a date when you think all was OK?
    This started about a month ago. I thought it was an isolated incident and went on using the computer and adding/deleting programs and settings. I don't feel confident going back in time unless I am prepared to completely re-install all software and settings. I can try it, but I would need to be prepared to format the drive and start over with a blank formatted drive.

Have you run full malware scans?
    I have McAfee running at all times. I have also run CCleaner. Should I run something specific for Malware?

Is Windows 7 up-to-date with patches?
    Yes.

Have you added any hardware or software recently?
    No new hardware has been added. As above, I have added lots of software much of which I have uninstalled ... but I cannot be sure I have uninstalled everything. Hence my comment about being prepared to re-install everything.

11. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ran "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100" and it came out clean.

12. Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you inadvertantly change the password for the Admin account? Try changing it to a different password.

How is your UAC set to notify you?

Joe

13. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know the Admin password as I can log into the Admin account. Also, when I purposely enter a WRONG password, it says that the password is wrong and prompts me for the password again.

The UAC setting is: "Default - Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer."

Thanks
    Could this be something as simple as Right clicking and choose Run As Administrator while in the user account. I know that on my PC, I turned off the UAC all together, but I am the only person using this PC. Plus I have Up To Date Images so if I screw something up it's a simple matter to restore to where I was before I screwed up. Heck I even turned system restore off as an unneccessary use of valuable real estate on my HD, but that's me. I do not recommend doing this for everyone.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

15. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,

Thanks for the help, but while in the User account, if I right click and say run as administrator, it prompts me for the Admin password which I enter and then it freezes. If I do this by clicking Start, typing cmd and then right clicking the cmd.exe application. If I enter the Admin password when prompted, then the Start menu freezes in the open state and you can do anything except do a hard reboot (holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds).

Anybody have the best advice on the steps to rebuild a hard drive? I think I need to copy the USER data files to a USB drive and then uninstall all the apps (just in case some of them are counted by the vendor (e.g., McAfee). Any other gotchas that people know about?

16. Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 989 Posts
    Hi Willy,

What happens if you change the UAC settings to Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)?
    Does the computer still freeze?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

17. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui,

No change in the way it performs - still freezes unfortunately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast