Lounger
    Thanks

Importing Outlook Contacts (Windows 98 SE, Outlook 2000)

Our small office has two stand alone pcs running Windows 98, Microsoft Office, and Outlook 2000. The two pcs are connected via a peer-to-peer network to share data and an Internet connection.

One of the pcs experienced a "Windows operating system" problem last week. It was determined that the best solution was to reformat the hard drive, reinstall Windows 98 - Microsoft Office - Microsoft Outlook - Etc. and restore data from a recent back up (Zip Disk). The process has gone relatively smoothly except that we have lost the Outlook contact data. I have restored the "WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook" files as well as the WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftAddress Book" file, but the troubled pc still has no contact data. Is there some other file in my backup that I need to restore?

Thanks

Re: Importing Outlook Contacts (Windows 98 SE, Outlook 2000)

Was the .pst file in the Application Data folder? Maybe it was in the c:windowsLocal Settings folder? I never really understood why MS wanted everything under the Windows folder, but I digress...

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing Outlook Contacts (Windows 98 SE, Out

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I checked my back up data at "Windows/Local Settings" and did not find the "Outlook.pst" file that is needed to restore the personal contacts information. I am not sure why my backup (Iomega, ZipDisk) software does not include this file in its back-up, but you can be sure I will be pointing out the problem to them.
    Thanks again for responding.

Thanks

I believe most backup software will not backup locked or in-use files which your .pst would be if Outlook was running when you did the backup.

Lounger
    Thanks

I perform a back up the computer in question on a weekly basis. No programs are running during the back up, so the "Windows/Local Settings/Outlook.pst" file should be there on the Oct 3rd copy. Sadly, it is not. You might find it interesting that the back up I did after re-formatting and re-installing does indeed contain the "Outlook.pst" file under the "Windows/Local Settings."

Thanks again for your comments and advice.