Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My IT job of 13 years came to a close two months ago but I just got a new one. Company using Word 2002! I create Word merge documents and place fields from a vendor's system throughout the form. If there's no system field for a piece of data, I've experimented with having the user complete the information after the merge. The mail merge destroys regular Word fields, VBA and bookmarks.

Here's the prompt: {MACROBUTTON NoMacro What is your age?}

The user will press F11 key and cursor will highlight the field. Is there a better method of querying the customer without VBA after the merge? Also, instead of having the customer retype the same prompt many times with the same answer, how can I capture the first prompt's answer and have it autofill elsewhere in the form? No bookmarks display after the merge.

Thanks for your help! You guys made me look good in my last job by supplying ideas and I could sure use your help again.

Happy New Year!
    Charlie
    charlie6067

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Charlie,

If you want to use formfields with a mailmerge document, see:
    http://www.gmayor.com/Form_Fields_and_Mail_Merge.htm
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul - Thanks for the quick reply. I had seen that page earlier but in my case, I don't have access to the system merge codes other than adding field names to the form nor can I add VBA to the form. The VBA in the form document is stripped out duirng the merge. Was hoping there was a method to insert a field and set a bookmark that would survive the merge process. Maybe it's not possible. When I can't use VBA, the possibilities are quite limited.

Thanks again,
    Charlie
    charlie6067

Thanks
    I think you will have to use VBA, not in the document, but in a template (attached template or global template, possibly shared on a network drive). A crude workaround would be to incorporate a text placeholder such as {{*MYDATA*}} and train the user to hit Ctrl+H and replace it globally with the desired text.

Thanks
    Late response:

To a large extent it depends on which Version of Word your people will be using. In Word 2002, the MacroButton Prompt may be the best option. If the information can be input during the Merge, itself, look into the ASK field and related bookmark and Ref Fields. You could include the hint to press [F11] to go to the next field if you use MacroButton prompts.

See Repeating Data: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/repeating_data.html.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin