New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many people must like the bluish cast to all the parts--title bar, menu bar, etc--of the Win 7 x64 themes, all of them. I do not. It seems you can get to the old XP-style dialog that allows changing colors of the bits and pieces. It says it will only work in Windows Basic theme. Not my preference, but I would settle for that. Except that even on that Basic theme there is no effect. I am thinking of formatting my hard drive and installing a pirated XP to get rid of the dang depressing blue. Any more moderate solutions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can set the color you want. If you right click your desktop and choose Personalize, then you have the option to choose the window's colors. I have chosen Fuchsia just to illustrate:

[attachment=91088:Capture.JPG]

Just click there, choose one of the preset colors or combine them yourself (I know, not the best interface).
    Alternatively you can try one of the many themes available on the net.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On the subject of changing bar appearances: there is a bar at the very top, the bar with the Min, Max, & Close buttons on the right hand end . . . I don't know the name. Anyway, the text on the left-hand end of this bar is illegible. Is there any way to change that bar?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Feaster View Post
    On the subject of changing bar appearances: there is a bar at the very top, the bar with the Min, Max, & Close buttons on the right hand end . . . I don't know the name. Anyway, the text on the left-hand end of this bar is illegible. Is there any way to change that bar?
    What window are you talking about, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, ???
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Marcus View Post
    Many people must like the bluish cast to all the parts--title bar, menu bar, etc--of the Win 7 x64 themes, all of them. I do not. It seems you can get to the old XP-style dialog that allows changing colors of the bits and pieces. It says it will only work in Windows Basic theme. Not my preference, but I would settle for that. Except that even on that Basic theme there is no effect. I am thinking of formatting my hard drive and installing a pirated XP to get rid of the dang depressing blue. Any more moderate solutions?
    To expand a little upon what Rui shows, I also enable transsperency. This will change the colors to show whatever is on the desktop at the time. I use a slide show desktop and rotate through all my landscape pics, so whatever landscape is currently active, these colors will show in the bars.

[attachment=91090esktop Colors.jpg]

You can also turn down the color intensity to allow more of the desktop colors to dominate the bars. I believe this is considerable more customizing than XP allowed.I believe this is all part of th Aero themes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you mean the highlight and outline color for menus and window items, the menu bar (if displayed) and the action and info bar, and left control pane for those types of windows, that seems to be locked in stone. I have Stardock installed on several 7s and that can't change those colors either (as least I haven't found a way).
    I guess it helps keep we modifiers out of trouble maybe; because every once in a great while I would have a color combo set up in XP and it would flip a bit or something and suddenly I'd get black on black...which can be rather difficult to navigate.
    XP is still much more customizable both natively and with something like Stardock Windowblinds and it seems is going to remain that way. Granted, there are a LOT of garishly bad combinations of colors possible in XP, even through Themes, where one presumes someone thought that it looked good , but even in 7 some of those limited color combos just don't look that good with that ever-present blue.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Phil hello and a nice 2011 to you.

In your quest to vary the desktop, do not forget to slide down the right hand slider and see all that is offered there, after you go to personaize. I believe that there is a self-done option in them all.

Have fun...............Jean.

Thanks

Would Advanced Appearance Settings be what you are looking for.

[attachment=91093:Advanced Appearance.png]

Right Click desktop, Personalize, Windows Color, Advanced Appearance
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, "advanced appearance settings" would be exactly correct, except it does not work, not even as Microsoft says, for Windows Basic theme. No matter what, it is that depressing blue. I ain't kidding, if Microsquish is reading. I am going to pirate me a copy of XP and use it.

I would like to know how Mr/Ms Rubiero with the cat theme created his or her own theme. That seems somehow to unlock the individual pieces' colors.

And BTW, the bar with minimize, restore and close buttons is called the title bar of any window, including either explorer. Making it transparent or translucent does not remove dprssing blue from the menu bar and active or inactive bars.

And, Byron, I don't need momma Microsquish to keep me out of trouble. It does not sound like you do either. If I get me in it, it is up to me to get me out (e.g. black on black).

Thanks for listening to me grouse and have a happy new year

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Those are probably the settings Phil was trying when in basic mode...since that is the window that comes up directly when in basic theme or ease of access theme.

I think the only place it really works at all is if you use just the Windows Classic Theme.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to know how Mr/Ms Rubiero with the cat theme created his or her own theme. That seems somehow to unlock the individual pieces' colors.
    It doesn't. You can use any theme or allowable customized theme, and associate a photo or any number of photos with that theme. If you go into Personalization and then Desktop Background, you can browse for a photo or set of them to add to a theme and then save it back on the personalization window. I always just copy whatever set I want directly into the Windows>Web>Wallpaper folder, create the theme and save it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

As long as you change some part of your settings, after choosing Personalize, Windows will start a new theme. All I did here was to choose a background picture (as Byron explained) and then chose a window color (not the fuchsia one). Saved the new theme, by choosing Save them and it was done.

Happy New Year.

Rui

P.S: It's Mr. Ribeiro .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron, what you said led me in the right direction. The Windows Classic theme does allow coloring the window bits and pieces, and then one can add pictures/slide show. The depressing green is gone, and so is my upset stomach. Thanks to all of you and happy new year.

Phil