Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a generic clone running Win7 32 bit. I just installed a new local printer (USB). The printer is not listed in the Devices and Printers window for the machine. From the online research I've done, this seems to be a problem without a sure fix.

I edited the registry to get rid of old printers that weren't showing up either, but have been unable to find a solution that allows the installed local/default printer to show up. It is set--in the printer software as the default--and it comes up that way in any app when printing is needed, but it does not show up in Devices and Printers.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?
    Henry S. Winokur
    PC .HLP Computer Consulting -- Supporting family & SOHO Windows users in the DC area since 1990
    Bethesda, MD

Thanks
    Hi Henry,

If you are by any chance using a Microsoft supplied driver for your printer, try downloading a Windows 7 32 bit driver specifically for your printer from the manufacturer's support site to see if that makes any difference.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you have more than one printer installed that uses the same driver and port see List printers using the same printer driver.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Henry,

If you are by any chance using a Microsoft supplied driver for your printer, try downloading a Windows 7 32 bit driver specifically for your printer from the manufacturer's support site to see if that makes any difference.
    Hi Gerald,

I initially installed the printer simply by plugging it in and using the Windows supplied driver. Later, I re-installed using the Brother CD.

Same problem, though. Nothing about the local printer in Devices and Printers. Interestingly, network printers on our home network show up just fine!
    Henry S. Winokur
    PC .HLP Computer Consulting -- Supporting family & SOHO Windows users in the DC area since 1990
    Bethesda, MD

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If you have more than one printer installed that uses the same driver and port see List printers using the same printer driver.Joe
    Nope. Only 1 local printer installed and it's not showing up in the Devices & Printers window of Control Panel.
    Henry S. Winokur
    Bethesda, MD

Administrator
    Thanks
    If the printer is a USB printer, uninstall it and start from scratch. The proper install procedure for USB devices that require driver/software installation is to start the install from the supplied CD or download. Then plug the device in when requested by the installation process.

Joe