2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently my messages disappear after downloading in Outlook (Windows 7). They may reappear later in the day and usually reappear the next day after starting the computer. Any ideas as to what is causing the problem? Also, some of my messages appear in a section called Favorite Folders that never used to happen. I now have 2 inboxes.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Mail doesn't usually vanish and then reappear. Is it possible that you are viewing all, then only unread, then all again?

At the bottom of the navigation pane you have several icons or tiles. Favorite folders will appear if you've selected the first one (Mail), but not if you've selected the Folder list view.

Do you have multiple email accounts set up? In that case, you may have one shared Inbox for POP accounts, and separate Inboxes for IMAP accounts.

Have you opened an archive or other data file recently? That one might also have an Inbox. Perhaps you can describe what you're seeing in a little more detail.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi smokyken,

I have to agree with what jscher2000 has said and think it is something to do with your Outlook folder view settings. Can you verify which version of Outlook you are using on Windows 7?

The quickest and most straight forward way to reset Outlook's folder views across the board (all folders) is using this command from the RUN command:

Code:
    Outlook.exe /cleanviews

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I run Outlook 2007 and have only one email account and address. It happened again this morning. After opening Outlook I found messages that dissapeared yesterday after they were opened (in preview pane) and not deleted. I downloaded my new messages and found some in my regular inbox and some in the favorite section with small previews. After reading and not deleting some of the message vanished again.

Thanks
    Could I suggest displaying the Advanced toolbar. It has a drop-down to easily change the current view (e.g., fields, sort order, etc.) so that you can experiment with that, and also easily access the Define View dialog to let you tweak the views or create a new one that shows what you want to see.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but what is the "advanced toolbar"?
    Ken

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smokyken View Post
    Thanks, but what is the "advanced toolbar"?
    It's another toolbar. If you right-click after the end of the menu bar or in a blank area to the right of a toolbar, you should be able to choose it from the list of toolbars.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, jscher 2000 using the new toolbar I've been able to do away with the unwanted folders and things seem to be working like they used to.
    Ken

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smokyken View Post
    Recently my messages disappear after downloading in Outlook (Windows 7). They may reappear later in the day and usually reappear the next day after starting the computer. Any ideas as to what is causing the problem? Also, some of my messages appear in a section called Favorite Folders that never used to happen. I now have 2 inboxes.
    There is a known bug in Outlook that only affects some users. When you drag a message into a folder, that folder appears to disappear and all of its messages gone. If you restart Outlook, the missing folder will reappear in the correct position and not disappear again that day.

It is not a solution, but it is a quick and simple work-around

Kotuku