Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    'm still unpacking from our move, and cannot lay my hands on my manual... I seem to recall that this machine can run in "either" 32-bit or 64-bit mode (?). When I got it, I wasn't about to try 64-bit Vista, but I'm thinking of giving 64-bit Win-7 a shot -- if this PC will run it. If it is possible, is it the Windows install that will control which mode it runs in?

I couldn't seem to find anything o0n Google that directly answered this/these question(s).

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I guess you meant Pavillion m9040n? If so, the cpu is a 64 bit CPU. The question seems more of drivers availability, so I would download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to determine your hardware compatibility.

It's you who choose which version of Windows to install, so run the upgrade advisor, check if there are any revelant problems to run 7 64 bit and, if not, install Windows 7 64.

You can get the Upgrade Advisor here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e-advisor.aspx
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like its a Q6600 processor so yeah, its been 64-bit ready for years and years...and years.

Thanks
    Great. Thanks guys.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    I guess you meant Pavillion m9040n? If so, the cpu is a 64 bit CPU. The question seems more of drivers availability, so I would download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to determine your hardware compatibility.

It's you who choose which version of Windows to install, so run the upgrade advisor, check if there are any revelant problems to run 7 64 bit and, if not, install Windows 7 64.

You can get the Upgrade Advisor here: http://www.microsoft...de-advisor.aspx

Rui / Byron:

OK, now, the "7" I have is an upgrade. Will I have to buy the full version to be able to install 64-bit? I don't remember any question during the upgrade about it.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Administrator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

What you really need to know is whether it's a Windows 7 32 bit upgrade version or a Windows 7 64 bit upgrade version. As far as I understand it, being a full or an upgrade version will only affect the licensing requirements for your version to complete the install. An upgrade version will require that you install from a previous Windows version, while a full version won't. So, again, what you need to tell us is whether your Windows 7 DVD is a 32 bit or a 64 bit version.

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Chuck,

What you really need to know is whether it's a Windows 7 32 bit upgrade version or a Windows 7 64 bit upgrade version. As far as I understand it, being a full or an upgrade version will only affect the licensing requirements for your version to complete the install. An upgrade version will require that you install from a previous Windows version, while a full version won't. So, again, what you need to tell us is whether your Windows 7 DVD is a 32 bit or a 64 bit version.

Regards

Rui
    Rui, what I have (and installed my current Win-7 from) is a 32-bit upgrade cd. Prior I was running Vista (32-bit). The last "full" version CD I have is XP.

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

I'm afraid that with that one, you can only install Windows 7 32 bits. One thing though, the Windows keys are valid for a certain Windows version regardless of "bitness", so if you can get a x64 DVD, for the same Windows version you have the 32 bit DVD, your key is guaranteed to work.

P.S.: Also, Windows 7 x64 will only be advisable if you have or are planning to have at least 4 GB RAM. Seems your system has 3 GB in its default config.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Chuck,

I'm afraid that with that one, you can only install Windows 7 32 bits. One thing though, the Windows keys are valid for a certain Windows version regardless of "bitness", so if you can get a x64 DVD, for the same Windows version you have the 32 bit DVD, your key is guaranteed to work.

P.S.: Also, Windows 7 x64 will only be advisable if you have or are planning to have at least 4 GB RAM. Seems your system has 3 GB in its default config.
    But then Rui, if I cannot get a CD, I'll need to buy the full 64-bit and "start from scratch"? You're not saying that it won't work at all

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    But then Rui, if I cannot get a CD, I'll need to buy the full 64-bit and "start from scratch"? You're not saying that it won't work at all

Chuck
    You can get an 64-bit upgrade version, which will cost you less, but you should be aware that you cannot upgrade from 32 bit Vista to x64 Windows 7. You will need to clean install Windows 7, which means that you will have to setup all programs, etc. The only solution I know to migrate your programs, which I have used, is Laplink's PC Mover.

I think Windows retail versions actually have two DVDs, one with the 32 bit version and the other with the x64 bit versions, so what you'd need would be to buy an upgrade version suitable for whatever version of Vista you are using.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have, or do you want to install more than 4 gigs of RAM, or want to have a system boot drive that is over 2 terabytes? If not, you don't need 64-bit and I would resist whatever allure there is to "double" your "bitness." Good luck whichever.

Thanks
    Rui, it would be a Windows 7 32-bit that I would be upgrading... And I came across some time back a way to do a clean install from an upgrade DVD -- legal and all that.

Byron, you may be right. I maybe should just wait and do this with the next migration I do -- although it does seem to produce an increase in speed.

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

Indeed, if you are not planning to get more RAM, so that you have at least 4 GB, there is no point in going the 64 bit OS route.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Chuck,

Indeed, if you are not planning to get more RAM, so that you have at least 4 GB, there is no point in going the 64 bit OS route.
    Rui [Byron];

You guys have convinced me. I'll wait till my next incarnation.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Thanks
    CW, I would not go the Upgrade route. I would instead go the Custom (Clean) install route, even when keeping the same bitness. Any minor problems with you Vista OS will be carried over to the Win 7 OS and perhaps may get worse. Why take the chance. When you perform a Custom install, Win 7 creates a folder on the C: Drive called windows.old that contains your entire Vista OS. You can open this folder and drag your stuff (favorites, contacts, data, links, etc.) to the Win 7 OS. When you are done simply delete the windows.old folder as it is quite large and takes up a lot of space. Once you have Win 7 installed in a pristine Custom installed condition, visit some of the many tip sites to customize your OS. A couple of the best are:

How To Geek

Paul Thurrotts's Windows Supersite

Windows Seven Forum Tutorials

I believe you will be far happier going this route. Good luck and enjoy Win 7. I would NEVER consider going back to Vista or XP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast