Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using Word 2002:

A system field (can't edit) always returns DIV + a number between 1 and 40. For example, DIV19. I only need the number to merge into a form field and not the DIV. Is it possible to add switches to suppress the "DIV" and show only the number after the merge?

My crude attempt at an IF field below. If DIV is present in merge data for Title field, do not show the DIV but show the number.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Title } = "DIV" "" "" }

Hopefully, you can see through my inexperience with this field formatting and can post an answer to my question.

Many thanks,
    Charlie
    charlie6067

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Charlie,

You can do this with a field coded as:
    {QUOTE{SET MyData {MERGEFIELD MyField}}
    {IF{REF MyData }= "*1?" 1 {IF{REF MyData }= "*2?" 2 {IF{REF MyData }= "*3?" 3 {IF{REF MyData }= "*4?" 4 {IF{REF MyData }= "*5?" 5 {IF{REF MyData }= "*6?" 6 {IF{REF MyData }= "*7?" 7 {IF{REF MyData }= "*8?" 8 {IF{REF MyData }= "*9?" 9 0}}}}}}}}}
    {IF{REF MyData }= "*1" 1 {IF{REF MyData }= "*2" 2 {IF{REF MyData }= "*3" 3 {IF{REF MyData }= "*4" 4 {IF{REF MyData }= "*5" 5 {IF{REF MyData }= "*6" 6 {IF{REF MyData }= "*7" 7 {IF{REF MyData }= "*8" 8 {IF{REF MyData }= "*9" 9 0}}}}}}}}}}
    where 'MyField' is the name of your mergefield.

This looks daunting, but it's really quite simple. The bulk of the field coding consists of two pairs of 9 nested IF fields coded as {IF{REF Data}= "*#?" # !}, where the:
    • field braces (i.e. '{ }') are created in pairs via Ctrl-F9;
    • '*' is a wildcard substitution for all characters in the field preceding the one you're looking for;
    • '#' is the number you're looking for;
    • '?' is a wildcard substitution for the succeeding character in the field; and
    • '!' represents the next number or nested IF test.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Paul. That was a lot of work for you write out but I appreciate it and will try it out tomorrow at the office. Happy New Years. Charlie charlie6067