Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is not a huge problem so far as computer problems go, but I've had it for close to a year (64-bit Windows 7, and a few different software applications) and it is really frustrating me because I cannot figure it out or correct it. I've been told by a friend to use a simultaneous combination of keystrokes (was it "shift/ctrl/U?") to "reset the defaults" of the displayed software, but that does not work.

If I did it right, this post should arrive with an attachment containing a couple of screen shots as an example, and in both cases you will note information is "shaved off" seemingly by something below it shoved up wards. If anyone out there has any suggestion on something to end my frustration, I would appreciate it. :-([attachment=91112:Example 1.pdf]
    Attached Files Attached Files

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Hi David, 2 choices, right click screen and 'refresh' or 'Ctlr + 0 ( Zero )
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi David, 2 choices, right click screen and 'refresh' or 'Ctlr + 0 ( Zero )

Can you be more specific? I tried it on the two examples shown in the attachment, and neither one worked. I was unable to right click anything, so was unable to even try that, and Ctrl + 0 didn't work at all. :-(

David E. Cann

Thanks
    David, right click whatever you have open, & refresh, or resize & close while holding Ctrl

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David, right click whatever you have open, & refresh, or resize & close while holding Ctrl

Still no change in the problem. Are you sure you are giving me directions for Windows 7??? I find nothing whatever in the way of any "refresh" option, and while I can resize the window, it goes right back again when I open it up again and still does nothing at all to resolve the issue, even briefly. :-(

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Some applications such as IE will retain the last window size by closing them with Shift + X (not the letter X but the X in the upper right corner). It depends on the application.

I know of no key combination that will reset all applications to their default display size. That would be unique to an application.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Some applications such as IE will retain the last window size by closing them with Shift + X (not the letter X but the X in the upper right corner). It depends on the application.

I know of no key combination that will reset all applications to their default display size. That would be unique to an application.

Joe

So what are you saying? You don't know what to do about it? :-(

David E. Cann

Thanks
    David, if you hover the mouse at the top, bottom, left or right of your app the pointer will change to two arrows, now left click and drag to size you want.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    So what are you saying? You don't know what to do about it? :-(
    I'm saying you need to set the display size for each application. You need to set the starting Windows size by changing the "Run" field on the "Shortcut" tab in the "Properties" of the shortcut or size each windows that way you want it and hope the application remembers the size.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm saying you need to set the display size for each application. You need to set the starting Windows size by changing the "Run" field on the "Shortcut" tab in the "Properties" of the shortcut or size each windows that way you want it and hope the application remembers the size.

Joe

Joe,

You lost me. The window display size is not the issue, it is the fact that some of the text within the window is partially covered or overlapped. I don't understand your directions, so cannot follow them or try your suggestion.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Do you have up-to-date video drivers? Do you have up-to-date chipset drivers?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David, if you hover the mouse at the top, bottom, left or right of your app the pointer will change to two arrows, now left click and drag to size you want.

Roderunner,

I know how to change the size of the windows, but that is not what I am trying to fix. As I have said from the beginning, the issue is text (directions, instructions and the like) inside the windows is not disdplaying properly, and in many cases is partially shaved off usually from the bottom of the line. Thank you anyway, but this is not what I was looking for.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Do you have up-to-date video drivers? Do you have up-to-date chipset drivers?

Joe

I don't know, how can I determine that? The desktop is barely 18 months old though, so if I had to guess I'd guess that they shouldn't be very much outdated if at all.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you have an Intel based PC you can go to Intel Driver Update Utility. You'll have to allow a small program to be installed. The program will then scan your system and let you know what needs to be updated. If you have a discrete video card, either AMD or nVidia, go to the ADM or nVidia site to find the latest driver for your card.

Video drivers for discrete cards are updated regularly.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This issue is now resolved. After finally contacting Tech Support for one of the effected applications, the man said the problem was that I had the font scaling set too high (125%). When I put it back to 100% and rebooted, the issue went away. My eyes are not what they used to be, and I had increased the font on my high resolution wide screen monitor so my 68 year old eyes could read it better, but I never realized that could have been what caused it. Now, I need every bit of the resolution to be able to read the small font display on the monitor, but overall it is back to normal and working right.

Now then, if I could just increase EVERYTHING a bit, including the font, all would be well but I can live with it the way it is. . . . . for now. My thanks to all for trying to help me.

David E. Cann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast